Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 - Reginald Warneford Projectile - Zeppelin downing

Kent

Hi,

I'm trying to find out information regarding a 1915 projectile, painted with an illustration of the Zeppelin that Warneford shot down. 

The projectile is solid, and is marked 16 lbs, with lot numbers. There is no fuse at the top or bottom.

I have just joined the forum, and haven't managed to upload photos, but will attach some shortly.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Kent

Get Outlook for Android

It should be a Hale's bomb. Officially a 'Bomb, Hale Mk II' 20lb. Made by the Cotton Powder Company, most probably at their works outside Faversham in Kent.

After Warneford's feat Frederick Marten Hale presented a silver plated bomb to the RNAS at Eastchurch.

Edited by Gunner Bailey

Many thanks for the very quick reply - could I email you photos? I'd like to post them on the thread, but for some reason I can neither paste nor attach them. The problem may be that I'm on accessing the site via my phone rather than via my computer. Is there a way to send private messages?

To do a PM click on the persons name / avatar and go to their profile page. If you are very new to the forum I'm not sure if you can send images to members. Worth a try though.

Then it may just be a piece of WW1 'trench art'.

Kent has just sent me these photos. Clearly a very fine piece of Trench Art.Warneford1.jpg.132fea0bab9c532787834820b14dcff5.jpgWarneford2.jpg.8ed58e3b31d5bf7426b959e7dce2c650.jpg

8 hours ago, peregrinvs said:

I believe it’s a 16IB weight practice shot for the 3IN 20CWT anti-aircraft gun. Made by Royal Laboratories in July 1915.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QF_3-inch_20_cwt

I've not heard the term 'weight practice' before. Is this a Loading practice round? Seeing the N on the side I thought it might be naval.

21 minutes ago, Gunner Bailey said:

I've not heard the term 'weight practice' before. Is this a Loading practice round? Seeing the N on the side I thought it might be naval.

No. I just meant that I think it’s a solid practice shot (the P marking) with an indicated weight of 16 pounds. It probably is naval.

Perhaps the OP could tell us how much it weighs to check if this is correct? It’ll be slightly light as the drive band is missing.

20 minutes ago, Gunner Bailey said:

A 16 lb round does show in the Wikipedia performance table.

I'd think its ballistics are different enough from the more usual 12.5 lb earlier projectiles to justify manufacturing a practice round for shooting, though it's less easy to see any difference in loading practice. This one doesn't show a driving band and looks unfired.

• 2 weeks later...

Whatever it is, a superb piece of art and a wonderful memorabilia!

It seems to have been an occasional WW1 practice to donate an unrelated projectile in honour of an achievement. The post office in the village of Widecombe in Dartmoor has a 15" naval shell standing nearby commemorating the gathering of Sphagnum Moss by villagers for treating WW1 wounded.

Edited by MikB
typo