Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Harold Gillies QH Sidcup

Nicky B

Hello all, along with my 15 yr old son I have been researching his great great uncle Frank Whipp who was treated for a gunshot wound to the mouth at Sidcup in 1919.  He'd been shot and taken prisoner in April 1918.  I just wondered if anyone else had a relative, treated between March and November 1919.  We have various photos of him with other patients and nurses.  It would be amazing to find someone he spent time with whilst being treated.  TIA, 

Thanks, we have a copy of his full file in our possession, I was just curious to see whether any others on the forum had similar relatives.  Thanks,

yes thanks, this is how we started the research, once we had his name and the basic story.  just lucky that paddy hartley chose frank as his subject for the article as we might not have got to where we are with his story.

It seems to me that the best chance of finding fellow patients is the hospital admission/discharge register- Is this with the Gillies Archive?   Does the register exist elsewhere? eg Wellcome, local record office?  

Harold Gillies' patient archives & paintings are in the archives of the Royal College of Surgeons of England in London - it may be worth contacting them: https://www.rcseng.ac.uk/museums-and-archives/archives/

Yes thanks, I have been in contact with the archivist Dr Bamji and have Frank's entire file.  Just wondering if there are any other personal stories out there, thanks both.

• 3 months later...

Here is an interview which may be of interest.  Borden Battery

Ep37 – Dr Harold Gillies and plastic surgery during WW1 – Dr Andrew Bamji

Here is one of the websites included in the CEF Study Group's List of Recommended Great War Websites.  Borden Battery

The Gillies Archives at Queen Mary's Hospital, Sidcup [Under Re-development - Oct 2017]

The Queen's Hospital, Sidcup performed plastic surgery of the face between 1917 and 1925.  The case notes of the British and New Zealand Sections of the hospital, previously recovered by the Archives Curator Dr Andrew Bamji, have recently been relocated to the Royal College of Surgeons, London after a hospital reorganisation.  Dr Bamji continues to maintain the website and is now Gillies Archivist to the British Association of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons (BAPRAS).  The website details the hospital history and contains a database of the case notes.  In addition, there is a comprehensive medical bibliography of the Great War and some useful links to sites about the war and plastic surgery. Recently Dr Bamji discovered that the admissions book of the Canadian Section had survived in the Canadian National Archives, and the Canadian page of the patient database now contains full details of all the Canadians treated at Sidcup – nearly 500 in number. In addition, the case notes collection has been digitised by Findmypast.com. 

[CEF Study Group – Sept 2020]

http://www.gilliesarchives.org.uk  

• 1 month later...