Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

PercyS

80th Field Hospital

PercyS

I am researching my Grandfather 25611 Percy J Stevens 7th Battalion Royal Berkshire Regt who died of his wounds 9th May 1917 following the 2nd battle of Dorian. Does anyone know if there is a war diary for the 80th Field Hospital who reportedly removed and cared for the wounded following the battle of the night of the 8th/9th May 1917.

Acknown
Posted (edited)

Post removed.

Edited by Acknown

clk

Hi PercyS,

If you don't have a copy of the Battalion war diary you can read a transcription from here. Unfortunately, you have to do it a day at a time, then click on the 'headline' to get the full text.

Regards

Chris

Gardenerbill
On 22/07/2020 at 11:52, clk said:

Hi PercyS,

If you don't have a copy of the Battalion war diary you can read a transcription from here. Unfortunately, you have to do it a day at a time, then click on the 'headline' to get the full text.

Regards

Chris

I may be missing something but what have the Royal Berkshire and Wiltshire Regiments to do with 80th Field Ambulance?

clk

Hi,

32 minutes ago, Gardenerbill said:
On 22/07/2020 at 11:52, clk said:

Hi PercyS,

If you don't have a copy of the Battalion war diary you can read a transcription from here...

I may be missing something but what have the Royal Berkshire and Wiltshire Regiments to do with 80th Field Ambulance?

On 19/07/2020 at 12:52, PercyS said:

I am researching my Grandfather 25611 Percy J Stevens 7th Battalion Royal Berkshire Regt who died of his wounds 9th May 1917 following the 2nd battle of Dorian....the 80th Field Hospital who reportedly removed and cared for the wounded following the battle of the night of the 8th/9th May 1917.

The diary for the 7th Royal Berks isn't available to download from either the National Archives or Ancestry. I know that it probably won't mention 80 FA, but as the Bn diary isn't readily available I thought that the OP might like to know they could read it.

Regards

Chris

PRC

I don't know if it adds anything but transcriptions of the war diaries for The Royal Berkshire and Wiltshire Regiment are available here:-

https://www.thewardrobe.org.uk/research/war-diaries

8th May 1917 7th Battalion. Royal Berkshire Regiment.

https://www.thewardrobe.org.uk/research/war-diaries/detail?id=8217&regiment=7&day=8&month=5

9th May 1917 7th Battalion Royal Berkshire Regiment.

https://www.thewardrobe.org.uk/research/war-diaries/detail?id=8218&regiment=7&day=9&month=5

Entry for the 9th includes a single reference to 80th Field Ambulance.

"Evacuation of wounded was carried on during the whole day by the 80th Fld Ambulance. "

Cheers,

Peter