Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trying to date a DH9 photo...

redbarchetta

image.png.e85a6a11f2f91a0905fd33f98987b3ef.png

This DH9, number D3068, came down at Bourbourg, near a Chinese Labour Corps camp (I think No 30 Company), and was helped back into the air by the labourers.  I think this is 1919 rather than 1918, but not certain and wondered if the unusual exhaust arrangement (so not the vertical exhausts on many photos, nor without them altogether, as on others) would give a clue to those in the know...  Aircraft with similar numbers are active in July/August 1918 with 98 and 99 Squadron, but obviously many would survive into 1919...

Any thoughts?

Thanks

James

Bruce Robertson's British Military Aircraft Serials gives this DH9as art of a production batch of 400 built by Airco  

Thanks, Alex.

In this photo, I wonder if there is actually no gun in the Observer's seat, which would, again, suggest a 1919 rather than 1918 date.

Does the logo near the nose give any clues of the squadron?  Is it a stylised bomb?

James

image.png.40c493db930a0bfd37d160f50a7d4eaf.png

• 3 months later...

Thanks for sharing your photos.

This DH9 has the markings of 110 Sqdn and the time would be July/August 1919. 110 Sqdn was the first sqdn to use the DH9a, and post-war it applied this stencilled design and number codes to its DH9As being used to deliver mail between France and Germany. Strangely, in July 1919, it began to replace the DH9As with DH9s but disbanded on 27 August 1919 (details from the Air Britain DH4/DH9 file).

Alann

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, Alann.  Too late for the actual panels in the exhibition, but today I am writing and recording a voiceover for the virtual tour (even more important now lockdown has returned) so will add this information to the text.  Thank you!

James