Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who was Sgt. 497311 RAMC?

TEW

I think I have an ID for this so wouldn't want anyone spending too much time on it.

There is a diary online described by an archive as that of an NCO Sgt. stretcher bearer. A name is given for the diary keeper by the archive.

The diary itself is more of a circa 1960s memoir but he writes Sergeant 497311.

Needless to say I've found no medal or other record with 497311 RAMC.

This should be 1917 renumbering to 3rd Home Counties FA.

The name given by the archive does not seem to be a possible contender. Possibly it's a nom de plume or the diary was submitted to the archive by X.

The diary is quite well detailed and has some sketch maps of evacuation posts and routes which match up very well to those in official diaries.

Seems a bit of a shame that the Sgt. diary keeper is not identified properly.

TEW

Does the name that you have match an RAMC man with a pre-1917 number? I’ve come across examples of men whose MICs show only their pre17 number despite the fact they continued serving overseas after the date Of the change.

I think this is the case here, only his earlier 4 digit number showing on MIC. Assuming I have the right man.

TEW

Ah, I'm after confirmation of a name. I don't mind PMing someone as a referee  as long as there's no conferring!

TEW

No, perhaps I should give a clue.

497314 is V. Croft

TEW

My view is it is probably Sgt John Henry Cranham from Farnham,  b 4/12/1885, died Q4 1976

Father's name missing in 1886 baptismal register for Wrecclesham.

A gardener in 1911 Census, 1919 marriage and still a gardener in 1939

charlie

Edited by charlie962

Charlie, that's the man! Wellcome collection have an online version of his memoirs via Keogh Barracks museum.

They ID the diary with Sgt. Norman Fermor. No such contender. Croft was 497314 and 3300, Cranham's MIC has 3297 only and is the only Sgt. in that range.

The diary also hints at his previous job as gardener, also showing on 1939 Register.

No idea how Norman Fermor fits in, nom de plume, or perhaps transcribed later by NF. Diary hints at being written 50 years after the events but one sketch of an evacuation system is so close to one in an official diary I wondered if he'd copied it.

Anyway, given the events Cranham lived through I thought a bit of recognition was deserved. He is little self-effacing in the diary and says things like nobody will be interested in this.

I did find a photo of him I think pre-war in one of his gardens.

Thanks for confirmation.

TEW

TEW, the renumbering of the Territorials for this group seemed to be in numeric order and he was the only sensible fit.

3292  497307 Percy W Scase
3293  497308 E A Goldring
3294?        
3295  497309 Arthur Albert Weaver
         497310    perhaps   3296 Pte James Nash ?
         497311    either 3297 Sgt Jonathan H Cranham or 3297 Cpl Harold G Storey
         497312   perhaps 3298 sgt John M Watt
3299  497313  Albert Cecil Scott
3300  497314  V Croft

I am glad that little hint of his prewar gardening ties up. He was even a 15 year old under-gardener in the 1901 census and in the newspaper archives HJ Cranham won a lot of local gardening prizes until he was an old man.

Well done for taking the time to identify him.

Charlie

Not just a common or garden gardener then, think he was on an estate somewhere in 1939.

Having trouble with the link but Wellcome Library has an online or download in RAMC/1781.

I have 5 more men (out of 444) with MH106 records that I've failed to tie to medals or further history.

I think again it will be a case that their 1916 admission numbers do not appear on medal records.

New topic brewing.

Thanks

TEW