Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Artillery

Gus1914

I'm wondering how was divisional artillery moved on the Western Front... I'm particularly interested in the period Messines / 3rd Ypres and wondering if divisional guns were moved along the line or did units take over the guns in that were already in the area they were taking over... A Division like the 16th Irish for example attacked at Messines in June 1917 and then attacked at Langermarck in August 1917 so how did that work in terms of divisional artillery... Any ideas please? 

At Langemarck on 3rd Aug 1917 the 56th Div Artillery (280 & 281 Bde) took over the in place guns manned by the 8th Div. Whether or not those guns 'belonged' to the 8th or not is unknown.

Another facet of that period is that the 280 & 281 Bde were not supporting the 56th Div. They came under control of the CRA of the 25th Div, then the 18th Div, next the 14th Div and finally the 47th Div before being relieved and retiring to the 56th on 31st Aug.

On 16/17 Aug 280 Bde had all guns put out of action and had to be replaced. I beleive by that time one of the strengths of the army was that tthe supply of guns meant that they could be rapidly replaced.

In many cases guns were withdrawn with a division but as shown above not always. At Langemarck it would be conditions that dictated actions.

It seems very common that when one artillery brigade left a combat area on the Western Front it would leave its guns (less sights) to the relieving unit. It would also sign over any spare ammunition.  But everything else - personnel, wagons, limbers, animals etc - they would take with them as they left. 

David.