Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Badges of the TF in the Great War

poona guard

Contrary to Frogsmile, Company indicators were worn in the war. This is not suspicuous activity: the first book was the badges of Kitcheners army - infantry (check it out on Amazon), the second, due out next year, is on the badges of the regular infantry in the Great war. I am about to start on the cloth badges (company, battalion, divisional) worn by the TF (infantry) and would appreciate any help help with illustraions that show the badges being worn, for example, I would like to use this, posted by a guest, which shows the 7th Manchesters - this is the sort of photo I am looking for. If any members have genuine cloth battalion or divisional signs I would appreciate a photo of them as well.

Dave Bilton

CCF04032018_00000.jpg

I offer my sincere apologies.  I am an admirer (and purchaser) of your book on Kitchener’s Army insignia and now that you’ve taken the trouble to explain in better detail what you seek I’m sure that there will be many in the forum who will try and assist you.  No offence was meant.

You might also find it useful to conduct a search within the forum using appropriate search terms, there have been badges of the type that you’ve mentioned discussed in the past and the forum’s been going for some years now.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Great to hear from you. Now that I have established my credentials and you have an interest in such matters, do you have such photos I could use or the real badges? The next book has some cracking stuff in it as well.

Dave

Edited by poona guard
forgot something

6 minutes ago, poona guard said:

Great to hear from you. Now that I have established my credentials and you have an interest in such matters, do you have such photos I could use or the real badges?

Dave

I'm sorry to report that I have never collected photos based purely on the presence of cloth tactical and formation signs, but more to do with unusual uniform features, metal insignia, or skill-at-arms and trade/proficiency badges.  In fairness it was not so much your credentials that seemed odd, but the brevity and rather obscure wording of your post.  I know that there will be a few forum members who can post relevant photos straight away, as soon as they see your query, but for the most part I suspect that you might have to spend some time searching the forum yourself.  I wish you good fortune.

Edited by FROGSMILE

The Museum of the Royal Hampshire Regiment (in Winchester) has a fine archive of photographs of TF Battalions in India and the Middle East. I am not sure when their Archives will be open to the public (the Museum has re-opened), but I could, if you wish, visit. I also suspect we have a couple of pictures on my wife's maternal grand father who was with the 2/5th Hampshires in India.

I reviewed your Service Battalions book for Stand To! so fingers crossed I get the Regular Battalions one, too!

PM me if you you'd like me to visit the Hampshires.

Thinking about it, the Greenjackets Museum is also in Winchester. I have utterly no idea what they might have, but possibly they have inherited some London Regiment archives?

Hi Steve,

Thanks for contacting me. Living in Reading I have all the photos I need of the Hampshire Terriers - strangely more than the Berkshires. Similarly I have most of the London Regiment it is the northern parts of the country I need to find. Any help much appreciated.

Dave

2/4th RF London Regt

73E60A86-AE6D-4AEA-9AAC-2F97B747C82B.jpeg

London Rifle Brigade

E8063747-947B-47BB-A756-07F5953B7C8F.jpeg

Artists Rifles

B6224BFD-D3E5-4938-BBEB-D618C5929BF9.jpeg

1/16th Londons((QWR) Belonged to Pte Martin QWR

B0AEC8F4-C3F3-46BA-A82F-17F270918070.jpeg

2/16th Londons (QWR) attributed Sergeant Summerford 13th Kensingtons and 16th QWR

E14B324F-0A68-431F-9A6C-4A2EF9D97918.jpeg

13th Kensingtons attributed Sgt Summerford

BD1EF37C-DB24-4BAF-8EAA-41CC701942BF.jpeg

8th Londons Post Office Rifles

D4D12EC9-9D82-483E-8AB3-81ED92386155.jpeg

Absolutely cracking and a big thank you. Can I use them in the book? Do you have any photos of them in use that I could put in the book? Any TF battalion would be brilliant.

Best,

Dave

Dave, please feel free to use I’ll dig out some photos. Is it just Western Front insignia you are after. I have some to second linevTF that went to India

12th London Regiment (Rangers) Patches

Hi Mark,

Thanks for being so generous. I am interested in any TF infantry badges including the different cap badges and their metal shoulder titles so any contribution gratefully received. Very interested in the CQMS photo. I look forward to more. Thank you.

Dave

You might find the enclosed image of interest: https://www.flickr.com/photos/atoach/6021467782/in/pool-68361764@N00/

10th London Regiment TF.

Edited by FROGSMILE

24 minutes ago, poona guard said:

Indeed it is interesting. Must contact the owner.

Both Flickr and Tumblr provide rich opportunities to seek out such images, often of long lost family members of the poster.

24 minutes ago, poona guard said:

Will plough through both sometime soon. Thanks

Just as an example of what’s out there.

2316A8C0-7CB9-4A1B-A956-C9F55D2CDDF0.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, poona guard said:

Thanks

Its a nice photo. when I finish the present book I will have the time to look for them.

I gained the impression from the poster of the photo in the other thread (not this one) that it’s a TF Battalion shown, which is why Michelle drew it to your attention with the @FROGSMILE flag.  I understood you to be working on a book concerning TF cloth formation insignia.  See:

https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/283964-edwin-hughes-unknown-unit/

Edited by FROGSMILE

image.png.fb2eb902bcfbb8232918dbb3e088d460.png

Lance Corporal EDWIN HUGHES

Service Number: 281766

Regiment & Unit: Lancashire Fusiliers, 1st/7th Bn.

Died 15 October 1917

Age 23 years old

Buried or commemorated at Coxyde Military Cemetery, IV.G.7, Belgium.

Additional Info Son of Joseph and Phoebe Hughes, of 1 R, Milton St., Lower Broughton, Manchester.

Personal Inscription GOD BE WITH YOU TILL WE MEET AGAIN

Tom K.

• 1 month later...