Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

motto of Cameron Highlanders

L m Sloan

Im sure ive read on here in a post that "Nemo me impune Lacessit" is the motto of the cameron Highlanders. However im sure i read in a novel somewhere that this was the motto of the Royal Scots Fusiliers .As I have ancestors in both these relevant regiments please can someone clarify? Also a translation I copied once .." No one provokes me and gets away with it ".......accurate or merely literary bravado??? My Latin is very rusty!!

Someone should have been sent down for plagiarism!

I bet they just found it on the internet....

But what does this have to do with the war in the air....

Edited by Wexflyer

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit is the motto of the Order of the Thistle; it was used by the Greys, the Royal Highland Fusiliers and the Black Watch, and is now the motto of the Royal Regiment of Scotland. It basically means No-one attacks me with impunity.

The motto of the Cameron Highlanders was Pro Rege et Patria, most fitting for Queen Victoria's favourite regiment.

And no, absolutely no idea about the war in the air connection.

I'm sorry...I'm new to greatwarforum and I've probably wandered into a specific part of the site for air warfare!! Thankyou all so much for helping me with the motto .However before I go....are you all SURE that my grandad in the Cameron Highlanders DIDNT have a role in air warfare? I can just see him there in his kilt,flying in the wind ,spotting enemy positions from the air!!:D

1 hour ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit is the motto of the Order of the Thistle; it was used by the Greys, the Royal Highland Fusiliers and the Black Watch, and is now the motto of the Royal Regiment of Scotland. It basically means No-one attacks me with impunity.

The motto of the Cameron Highlanders was Pro Rege et Patria, most fitting for Queen Victoria's favourite regiment.

Blimey - Steven - how could you forget the Royal Scots (the Royal Regiment), the most senior of them all. 

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 hour ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Blimey - Steven - how could you forget the Scots Guards, the most senior of them all. 

• Admin

Moved to Other Great War Chat 

2 hours ago, TullochArd said:

Blimey - Steven - how could you forget the Scots Guards, the most senior of them all. 

I’ve had this conversation before.  On the basis of continuous and unbroken service the Royal Scots have at least a decade or more of seniority.  Conversely the Scots Guards were dispersed and had to be reformed some years later.  It’s always been the abiding principal in the British Service that continuous service trumps other considerations. 

Edited by FROGSMILE

15 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

I’ve had this conversation before.  On the basis of continuous and unbroken service the Royal Scots have at least a decade or more of seniority.  Conversely the Scots Guards were dispersed and had to be reformed some years later.  It’s always been the abiding principal in the British Service that continuous service trumps other considerations. 

Agreed. I have confused seniority with precedence.

Edited by TullochArd

49 minutes ago, TullochArd said:

Agreed. I have confused seniority with precedence.

Totally understandable.  I was unable to convince the Scots Guardsman with whom that matter had been broached, he simply didn’t accept the inviolate principle of unbroken service, and became quite emotional.

Edited by FROGSMILE

30 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Totally understandable.  I was unable to convince the Scots Guardsman with whom that matter had been broached, he simply didn’t accept the inviolate principle of unbroken service, and became quite emotional.

That's Wooden Tops for you.

On 17/07/2020 at 14:15, TullochArd said:

That's Wooden Tops for you.

Oi!...I resemble that remark. :)

9 hours ago, TwoEssGee said:

Oi!...I resemble that remark. :)

:)