Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

U 18

stevenbecker

Marine-Ingenieuraspirant Benno Hitzler was UC 15's LI. Born November 20, 1891 in Berlin. Date of rank as an Aspirant was September 25, 1915. His promotion dates going forward would have been the same as Grüter's.

LI = Leitender Ingenieur, chief engineer. The title need not imply a specific rank — the LI of a U-boat could be, depending upon when and the size of the submarine, an officer (Marine-Oberingenieur or Marine-Ingenieur), an officer candidate with warrant officer rank (Marine-Ingenieuroberaspirant or Marine-Ingenieuraspirant) or even a warrant officer (Obermaschinist or Maschinist).

Edited by Michael Lowrey

Mates,

Thanks again,

Joe yes I have all the names but when cross checking them in the Verlustlisten 1. Weltkrieg

SO I wondered if I or them got there names wrong?

Like the two officers

Fortmüller E.    ObLtzS Marine    UB 66 Constantinople Flotilla 1917-18  U boat

Wernicke Fritz    Kapt-Lt Marine    Commander UB 42 Constantinople Flotilla 1916-17 & UB 66 Constantinople Flotilla 1917-18  U boat

I could not find any personal details on these Germans?

Like wise the details on Robert Sprenger

He is shown among the (10 or 11) dead on UB 53 when she hit the mines

But after that he disappears although I saw a list with possibly him as

later WWII Kor-Kapt deR QM Deutsches Marinekommando Italien 1943-44

But again is that him?

Cheers

S.B

Sprenger survived the sinking of UB 53 and was taken prisoner. Basic details are here.

Basic details on Kplt. Fritz Wernicke are available here. The date of death is approximate.

Oblt.z.S. Ernst-August Fortmüller was born on December 3, 1892. Crew 1912. The promotion date to Oberleutnant zur See was December 25, 1917.

Marine-Ingenieur Fritz Petzhold (naval engineering equivalent of a Lt.z.S.) was born on July 7, 1889. He was promoted to Marine-Ingenieur on July 16, 1917.

Michael,

Can you sort these two men out as they appear to be the same man but his death is given in different souses?

Bergmann Otto    Funktelegraphie gast Marine    SMS Breslau (Midilli) - I. Matrosen-Division 3. Abtl. 8. Komp.    1917-18     (born at Barmen KIA 20-1-18) ship sunk by mines at Saros Bay

Bergmann Otto    Funktelegraphie Obergast Marine    SMS Breslau (Midilli) - 3. Abtl. 8. Komp.    1915-16    (born at Barman KIA 22-7-16) Grobgeschoß Rücken, rechter Arm Schw. Meer, südl. Sewastopol (wounded back & R/arm Black Sea South Sevastpol)

Its possibly he was wounded on the 22-7-16 in the Black Sea and killed 20-1-18 when SMS Breslau sunk?

Can you confirm?

S.B

Michael,

While checking the above I notice this U Boat officer, did he also serve on this ship?

Schrader    LtzS Marine    Canonboat officer    unknown    (not identified)? to many to confirm? 

Schrader Otto von     LtzS Marine    Torpidobot commander Ottoman Navy    unknown    (not identified)?

Schrader Otto von     ObLtzS to Kapt-Lt Marine    Commander UC 31 I Flotilla 1916-17 UB 35 I Flotilla 1916 to UB 64 II Flotilla 1917-18 to U 53 II Flotilla 1918 U boat     1917-18    (1888 at Lyck died 1945) shown 57 ships sunk with a total of 54,663 GRT with British AMC "Marmora" (10,509 tons) awarded Ottoman Liakat Medal and Silver Medal Imtiaz with Scimitars and Ottoman War Medal 1-11-15 later WWII admiral Norway suicide as prisoner died 19-7-45

I can find no other officer to fill this gap, and be awarded all these Ottoman medals??

Cheers

S.B

Edited by stevebecker

Steve,

Looks like the same guy. Per the Verlustliste, Bergmann was severely wounded in the first action, then killed when Breslau was sunk. Note that his rank when killed was Signalmaat, a signals branch petty officer.

MPL

Otto von Schrader was on the gunboat Loreley in the Mediterranean in 1914, and put in Smyrna in August 1914. Von Schrader is then listed as the German commander of a Turkish torpedo boat until March 1916 (the specific boat(s) aren't identified in the Ehrenrangliste), when he returns to Germany and undergoes submarine training. Also note that he was awarded the Royal House Order of Hohenzollern in 1918. Career highlights are here.

Michael,

Michaeldr sent something on the Gallipoli area,

What interested me was the actions of Heimburg and his men from UB 14.

"a U-Boat Captain witnessed the churning waters, rowed out from the shore with a handful of bombs, and calmly dropped them over the side to good effect"

Others show

The German Submarine UB-14 was in port of Chanak to await repairs. While there on 4 September, word came that E7 was entangled in Ottoman antisubmarine nets off Nagara Point, which the Ottoman battleship Turgut Reis had laid.

The U-boat′s commander, Oberleutnant zur See Heino von Heimburg, and UB-14's cook, a man by the name of Herzig, set out in a rowboat to observe the Ottoman attempts to destroy E7. After several mines that formed part of the net had been detonated to no avail,[Note 1] von Heimburg and his group rowed out and repeatedly dropped a plumb line until it contacted metal. Then, von Heimburg dropped an Ottoman sinker mine with a shortened fuse right on top of E7.[3] After the hand-dropped mine detonated too close for the British submarine's captain's comfort, he ordered his boat surfaced, abandoned, and scuttled. Between shellfire from the Ottoman shore batteries and E7′s scuttling charges, von Heimburg and company narrowly escaped harm.[4] While most sources credit E7′s sinking to the Ottoman efforts, author Robert Stern contends that von Heimburg and UB-14 deserve partial credit for the demise of E7."

I tried to find the Germans in this action but other then Heimburg, who was a Submarine killer, does not mention his actions against E 7?

Heimburg Heino von     ObLtzS to Kapt-Lt Marine     Commander UB 14 (KUK U 26) Pola Flotilla 3-15 to 12-15 & UB 15 (KUK U 11) 6-15 to 6-15 to UB 14 Constantinople Flotilla 2-16 to 6-16 (replaced Dewitz) to UC 22 Pola/Mittelmeer II Flotilla 1916-17 & UB 68 Pola/Mittelmeer I Flotilla 1917-18 & U 35 Pola Flotilla 1918  U boat    1915-18    (1889 at Hanover died Oct 1945) Pour le Mérite 19 ships sunk with a total of 44,167 GRT + 4 warships sunk (British submarine E20 & French submarine "Ariane" & Italian submarine Medusa & Italian cruiser "Amalfi") with a total of 11,502 tons awarded House Order of Hohenzollern and Ottoman Gold Liakat Medal with Swords 2-1-16 and Silver Medal Imtiaz with Scimitars and Ottoman War Medal later WWII KonderAdmiral to Vize Admiral Kriegsmarine a judge at the Reichskriegsgericht Retied 1943 selected to sit on the People's court, a Nazi special court PoW 3-45 died in PoW camp at Stalingrad 

As to Herzig, I have not found him as yet or the other men involved in this action?

Do you have any details on this action by UB 14's crew?

S.B