Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who can identify this Asst. Provost Marshal with MC?

Kimberley John Lindsay

Dear All,

Not all that long ago I downloaded this scan of the medals of a gallant and capable Officer who had the MC.

He was an Assistant Provost Marshal.

Perhaps one of the knowlegeable band of Great War Forum experts can tell me who he was - perhaps even with an 1823954048_AnunnknownAPMsmedals.jpg.c9717092cc938202fa0e2d66ec7ac201.jpgImage? (!)...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Dear Barry,

Many thanks.

"My" Capt George Barrett Goyder, was APM 36 (Ulster) Div.

Similar groups, similar appointments!

Kindest regards,

Kim.893448215_CaptG.B.GoyderVD.JPG.2dbe3c3571caaaa60c81a901c4e9dec4.JPG1513033405_GoyderinNineofClubsattireca1910.jpg.d1e00ae65d76f97fb333c7df26dc01a7.jpg

Dear Barry,

I failed to find the Hon W. Yarde-Buller in the MC Book (by Peter Warrington), so it seems the unusual MC group of eight was another Asst Provost Marshal.

Thanks for looking, anyway!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Hi Kim

Have you any more details on the origin of the photograph of the medals. There are 80 APMs listed on Ancestry MICs. Can you list the medals from left to right? I have a good idea but want to be sure.  Working through the list for those with MC, an oak leaf and without a Star.

???? Is that a Navy LSGC medal 4th from left?

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

Dear Barry,

The ones in the middle look like a Naval LSGC and an Army MSM. 

The most unusual group was possibly sold by J. Collins, but I am no longer certain.

80 APMs...!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Hi Kim

That's what I thought, Victoria YH  Navy LSGC and 3rd version Army MSM....still looking.

Regards Barry

Hi Kim,

???  Major Robert William Benjamin Simms, APM 41st Div. MC, M in D,  Brit/Vic.

Card for MSM with annuity for R.W.B.Simms MC. Sjt.Major Northumberland Fus.?...looking

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

Hi Kim, 

I think this is your man.....

Robert William Benjamin Simms enlisted Royal Marine Artillery 11th June 1881.  Register No 1981. Aged 15 yrs 10 months. Boy Bugler Transf. to Army 5th June 1900. He was born 23rd August 1865 in Portsea, Portsmouth, died 17th October, 1955, Portsmouth. Sjt.Major 6569 disch.  10th June 1906 from Northumberland Fus. Service records on Ancestry !!!

LSGC issued 8th Oct, 1893.

Albany Lodge Newport Isle of Wight 10.6.1901, Sjt.Major.

2nd marriage to Minnie Katherine Dixon 1933 2b, 1414 Porsmouth 4th qtr. His father Robert was a Gunner in the RMA 1881 census

No photo....yet...Public tree on Ancestry...

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

Hats off to Barry for working this one out.

If I could be permitted to butt in and say the last three medals are the Belgian Chevalier of the Ordre of la Couronne and two Belgian Croix de Guerre. The Gazette notifications of these awards to temp. Major Simms are:-

the first C de G and the Ordre de la Couronne  https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31514/supplement/10604

and the second C de G https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31537/supplement/11213

Hi All

Thanks Harry for the additional info. 

Kim, kept me occupied for a while..photo is looking a bit harder!

Regards Barry

Dear Barry and Barry,

Happily the entries for the Belgian Order of the Crown and for the Croix de Guerre have Lieut T/Capt) G. B. Goyder, IARO, and T/Major R. W. B. Simms, MC, Gen. List, juxtaposed.

Many thanks for finding the right name to the outstanding MC group (not mine).

Yes, the elusive photo, aka Image.

I oftentimes have only one photo for a particular group in my collection of ca. fifty Officers - but for some of the groups I have dozens of photos of the recipient!

Thanks for looking: much appreciated, indeed.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Edited by Kimberley John Lindsay