Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private David Clark 31477 3rd Cameron Highlanders

Susan Tall

Help needed with this soldier whose death resulted from “Foul play in Dublin” according to his Pension Card.  I’m helping with the WFA Hometown project and was intrigued by this and decided to investigate but although I’ve found out quite a bit about David Clark I’m sure there is more out there.  Any help would be much appreciated.  This is what I have

David Clark was born in 1885 in Kirkpatrick Fleming, Dumfrieshire to Andrew & Ann Clark. Grew up at Watchill, Annan and by 1911 is working as a farm labourer at Dornock Town Farm for William Vivers.  His  service papers are on Ancestry. He enlisted 22nd October 1914 into the 7th Bn Cameron Highlanders (13957), but after a month was declared medically unfit for further military service because of  muscular rheumatism.  

He is called up again on 1st October 1917 and now enlists as Private 31477 in the 3rd Cameron Highlanders.  He said he had been discharged previously because of cardiac trouble and had lost his discharge papers.  One month later he gets 18 days detention and forfeits 19 days pay for absence, then 2 weeks later on 14th December 1917 he is declared a Deserter.

No more information about him until a newspaper report in the Scottish Daily Record & Mail on 9th February 1918 saying “Annan Man’s Death – Ex-Soldier’s Mysterious End in Dublin”.   He was found lying in a brickfield with his head badly battered and died soon after being discovered.  This report said he served for some time in the Gordon Highlanders, but lately had been working in Dublin.

I can find no inquest for him or whether his death was ever solved.  What was he doing in Dublin?  According to the Long, Long Trail the 3rd Bn Cameron Highlanders moved to Birr in Ireland in November 1917, so am wondering if he went with them and deserted from there to Dublin.

Any ideas or thoughts would be most welcome. 

Hello Susan

Sorry I can't help with your investigation, I wonder if it has passed by the experts on Ireland and the Scottish regiments.  Was it a simple criminal attack or maybe something politically motivated? Would it be worth adding some tags to the topic so hopefully someone picks up on this?

Peter

Thanks Peter,

Have added some tags so hopefully more people will see it.  Thanks for suggesting, I've never used tags on here before.

Sue