Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Chief Petty Officer Evan Thomas Ellis MZ205 Collingwood Battalion RND

Lawryleslie

50 years since this great man, my Grandfather, passed away. He fought with the ill fated Collingwoods at the 3rd Battle of Krithia on 4th June 1915 leading the remnants of his platoon to safety after his CO had succumbed to wounds. Two days later he was wounded during Turkish counter attack and was casevaced back to UK via Malta. He was discharged unfit but later rejoined as an instructor and promoted to CPO to complete hostilities only service. After the war he became a Reserve Police Officer continuing as such throughout WW2. He was awarded King George IV Special Constabulary Medal.

He was the main reason why I joined the RN and completed 34 years service.

A man to be proud of!

• 1 month later...

Sorry to have missed this.  You are right to be proud of your Grandfather.  I met several sons and daughters of RND men from Fife and Dundee during my research into Dundee WW1 Maritime history.   One comment I remember particularly was from the son of a Collingwood man who survived the war.  He said his father believed the leadership in the Battalion was second to none.  He also said it to HRH The Princess Royal when she unveiled a new Memorial and Roll of Honour in 2017!