Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hi everyone - 

I'm wondering if there is any information that can be found on these 3 family members who served in the Austro-Hungarian Army:
Salomon Sandberg - served with infantry unit 38 from 2/1915 to 11/1918. He was in captivity in Siberia from about 7/1915 to 3/1918.

Siegmund Sandberg - served from 1/1915 to 2/1918 in multiple units in the Russian front.

Josef Sandberg - enlisted in 3/1918 to the 46th Regiment and died in 7/1918, in Transylvania.

Another member of this family - also named Josef Sandberg - served in the Prussian Army - unknown dates and units but served in the Russian front. Possibly an officer.

I am particularly interested in what can be learned about the service and empriosnment of Salomon Sandberg, as well as the unknown service in the Prussian army for Josef Sandberg.

Any ideas on informative resources would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Thank you @charlie2. This is very odd. Salomon Sandberg is recorded in the book issued by his own unit as being PoW in the "orosz frontra" = "Russian front" (see below).
It's also interesting Siegmund Sandberg is not mentioned as I've seen his service record and it even includes him being wounded in 1916 so he had to appear in a casualty list!

Thank you for the references to the links.

image.png.6de315372843aafcfaf96302e83357d5.png

8 hours ago, Ben678 said:

Another member of this family - also named Josef Sandberg - served in the Prussian Army - unknown dates and units but served in the Russian front. Possibly an officer.

Any more information? Place and/or date of birth etc.

@charlie2 - Incredible. Thank you! I wonder what I can find about Kiev. That's a big help.
@AOK4 - Josef Sandberg who was in the Prussian Army was born in October 1884 in Bytom (Beuthen) in Silesia. I think that by WWI he may have been living in Germany, possibly in Hanover, or maybe already in Hindenburg (where he lived later on).

Hello,

No entry for Josef Sandberg or anyone called Sandberg or even S*berg  from Beuthen in the Verlustlisten.

I found his birth certificateand marriage certificate on ancestry, but nothing more. I see he was living in Ratibor at the time of his marriage.

Jan

3 minutes ago, AOK4 said:

Hello,

No entry for Josef Sandberg or anyone called Sandberg or even S*berg  from Beuthen in the Verlustlisten.

I found his birth certificateand marriage certificate on ancestry, but nothing more. I see he was living in Ratibor at the time of his marriage.

Jan

Thank you. I've seen his personal documents :) but have no information on his military service which is known to have happened. Maybe my assumption he was in Germany and that it was the Prussian army is a wrong one and he was in a different army (?).