Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Struggling to find Mory Aerodrome

Buffnut453

6 hours ago, Buffnut453 said:

Hi Mike,

The quote I included in Post #23 came from an entry you wrote on The Aerodrome forum on 21 October 2018.  You cite it as "L-M's 'History'".  Can you please confirm the actual volume it came from?  I thought it might have been "Air of Authority" but I'd appreciate any info on the original source.

Many thanks,
Mark

Hi

It is from 'History of Tank and Aeroplane Co-operation' (TNA AIR 1/1671/20-4/109/26) written by Leigh-Mallory in 1919.

Mike

4 minutes ago, MikeMeech said:

Hi

It is from 'History of Tank and Aeroplane Co-operation' (TNA AIR 1/1671/20-4/109/26) written by Leigh-Mallory in 1919.

Mike

Thanks Mike.  Very much appreciated.  No wonder I couldn't find a published work that might fit the bill.  

Cheers,
Mark

On 24/07/2020 at 18:37, MikeMeech said:

Just noticed this thread.

Mory was at 57c B.29a, to the SSE of the village. It would for use by two 2-seater squadrons - 12 Sqn & 13 Sqn were the first to use it and were replaced by 11 & 57 Sqns. The site was provided with 10 Bessonneau hangars. The attached map is a section of the Lens 1:100,000 sheet, a copy of which will accompany CCI 51/4.

The suggestion that Mory could have been the same site as Courcelles-le Comte is patently incorrect. Courcelles, incidentally, is a can of worms as it was seemingly the site also known as Ablainzevelle.

Lens section.jpg

On 28/07/2020 at 18:29, mickdavis said:

Lens section.jpg

Mick,

That's absolutely marvellous!  This info really helps me pinpoint another airfield from where my relative flew operational sorties.

I recently joined CCI so I'm looking forward to getting edition 51/4 so I have source traceability.

I presume Bethencourt is also covered in the work, perhaps an earlier edition?  My relative's unit, 11 Sqn, moved to Bethencourt after their brief stint at Mory.

Kind regards,

Mark  

• 4 weeks later...
On 24/07/2020 at 21:50, IPT said:

It says that the item is on p.353 of the Cross & Cockade Journal, Issue 12, (1971), if that helps

(PS - If possible, let me know it Lt. Hyde, taxiing in his DH9a is related or not)

Hi IPT,

I finally (yes FINALLY!) received the back-issue of Cross and Cockade Journal that includes the quoted section related to Mory airfield.  The actual quote goes on with some interesting insights into conditions (mud, rats etc).  It was certainly worth digging it out...and I really appreciate the pointer to it.

The photograph of Lt Hyde taxiing in a DH9a is, indeed, part of the same article which is entitled "A Tail-Ender with No.57 Squadron".  It's a record of an interview with 2Lt Leslie E. Morris RAF who was an Observer with 57 Sqn in late 1918 thru around July 1919.  The image of Lt Hyde taxiing isn't very good quality, I'm afraid.  The serial is not visible and the location is not identified.  

Kind regards,
Mark  

7 hours ago, Buffnut453 said:

Hi IPT,

I finally (yes FINALLY!) received the back-issue of Cross and Cockade Journal that includes the quoted section related to Mory airfield.  The actual quote goes on with some interesting insights into conditions (mud, rats etc).  It was certainly worth digging it out...and I really appreciate the pointer to it.

The photograph of Lt Hyde taxiing in a DH9a is, indeed, part of the same article which is entitled "A Tail-Ender with No.57 Squadron".  It's a record of an interview with 2Lt Leslie E. Morris RAF who was an Observer with 57 Sqn in late 1918 thru around July 1919.  The image of Lt Hyde taxiing isn't very good quality, I'm afraid.  The serial is not visible and the location is not identified.  

Kind regards,
Mark  

Thanks, Mark!