Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Marigold1

I am currently researching Lance Corporal Benjamin Townsend  who served throughout WW1 with the 10th Battalion of the Royal Fusiliers (Stockbrokers' Battalion) and was awarded the Military Medal (The London Gazette 6 July 1917). His Medal Index Card reveals two service numbers: STK1138 and GS/97560, GS indicating General Service. 

I understand that the 10th Battalion had a twin battalion called Intelligence I (b). Could it be possible that Townsend's two service numbers might indicate some connection with I(B)?

Marigold

Hi, I would have thought the first number with its "STK" prefix would put him firmly and squarely in the Stockbrokers' Battalion rather than the other 10th Battalion with its intelligence duties. I do believe there is a Stockbrokers' Battalion dataset on FindMyPast.

I have had some limited dealings with persons that worked in intelligence, and they made it clear they do not wish to stick out. Whilst the Stockbrokers' Battalion were proud of their background - as well as the social standing that came with it - and used the very clear prefix to their service number, I would not imagine there was anything similar that would attract attention to a member of the intelligence unit. I have seen two Mentions in Despatches for intelligence men who had the usual Royal Fusiliers numbers with "GS" prefix.

The BWM &VM medal roll would indicate to me that he saw the war out with the Stockbrokers' Battalion, and did not go elsewhere. The 14-15 Star roll indicates that he transferred to Class Z on 8 March 1919.

Image courtesy of Ancestry

Townsend_stk.JPG

I have often  come across the 10th RF when researching Intelligence in Ireland in 1920

I have a page on them on this link

But for fairly obvious reasons it is difficult to get much on them

Dear Keith,

Many thanks indeed. I have checked the FindMyPast database you mention but unfortunately it gives no extra information.

I'm still a bit puzzled why Townsend should have had the second service number prefixed GS if he stayed with the Stockbrokers all the time.

Marigold

I did wonder if anyone had done some research on Royal Fusiliers numbers. It looks like the STK prefixed numbers were stopped in about 1915, with one central batch of Royal Fusiliers being used thereafter. County regiments had confusion with Regular, Special Reserve and Territorial units with numbers that were not unique in the regiment, and a battalion number prefix was added in some cases.

On 29/09/2006 at 10:52, David Carter said:

Having read other posts about the R Fus and numbrs I think I know the answer but would like it confirmed. In early recruitment, and I'm looking at 10th Bn (Stockbrokers) the early 1914 numbers are nice, tidy, sequential and sometimes have the prefix Stk which is a bit of help when trawling through lists. By 1916 the numbering becomes rather more random and by 1917 I have noticed that numbers fairly close to each other can be in different units. A random sample from Arras memorial gives

62588 9th

62376 9th

62320 9th

62485 10th

62832 20th

65632 10th

65636 10th

65694 13th

66051 10th

So, did the R Fus stop recruiting to individual Bns and go over to recruitment to the Regiment with allocation by drafts as required? If so, from when?

Comments and advice gratefully received

David
[ Royal Fusiliers Renumbering ]

He's created a website, and I had a quick look at casualties. There were some men with STK numbers, so it does not seem that a universal renumbering took place.
http://10throyalfusiliers.co.uk/

I did look on the medal roll for a man who performed intelligence duties, and the medal roll is explicit about this.

Image courtesy of Ancestry

Garner_intel.JPG