Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great Grandfathers Medal card index

J Cooper

Hello Everyone

I was really happy to find this forum I have been searching about his war history.

I have found my Great Grandfathers medal index and have been given two of his medals.

One from WW1 the other was from the territorials. Can you tell me what other info you get get from this card it would be very helpful in my search.

Thank you so much Julie

post-31-1108906618.jpg

It tells you he was awarded the 1914~15 Star,British War Medal & Allied Victory Medal & gives the relevant Medal Roll Page Indices,by each medal.[Copies of these can be obtained from the NA{Not on line though}]

It also gives an Army Order Number concerning award of the Territorial Efficiency Medal,{TEM},[1922~30],dated 1924.as a Sergeant[sjt]

It states his service in the South Lancashire Regt[service Bn,from that Number 15***] Went to France on 18th july 1915 & the Manchester Regiment {TA}with his Army & Service Numbers

His Medals would be Marked Corporal[Cpl] as the MiC is Anotated with an "X" with Dots between the arms,denoting to the Graver that rank should appear on the Medals,He was discharged to Class "Z" in 1919{Normal Discharge on completion of Service for the Duration}

If you only have 2 of the Medals it might be an idea to gently "pressurise "the holder of the others if they have them into allowing you to be custodian of the full group as really they should not be split up{a practice that can unfortunately continue among Families; One Child has Two & another the Other Two,etc,Sadly this is often how "Groups"ie one Man{or Womans} Medal entitlement becomes Split in years to come & some poor soul spends twenty or thirty yrears attempting to re~unite them again!,Good Luck with your Research Julie!

Hello Julie

Just adding to what Harry says above.

Thomas Edwards was Private 15060 when he landed in France with the 7th (Service) Battalion of the South Lancashire Regiment of the 19th (Western) Division on 18 July 1915. He was a Kitchener volunteer.

He qualified for a 1914-15 Star, marked with his details as a Pte.

He was later promoted Corporal, and his British war medal and Victory medal are marked as such.

he was discharged to Class Z Army Reserve on 21 March 1919.

He then appears as a Sergeant with the 8th Battalion of the Manchester Regiment, with a much longer and post-WW1 number. It seems he joined up again, this time as a Territorial. He won the Territorial Efficiency Medal.

You can track what happened to the 19th (Western) Division here.

His original battalion was disbanded in February 1918, and to see what happened to him you would need to consult the original medal rolls. The reference codes for them appear on the MIC.

Thank you both very much for your help and the information you have given me its really been a great help. I will continue to try and find out more about him and my Great Uncle who is a mystery.

(I have posted about him in another section)

Unfortunalty my Grandmother gave my father the other two medals and he has split himself from the family. I doubt I could get them which is a shame, but I will try.

Again thank you so much for all your help:)

Best wishes Julie

Julie

His TEM was awarded in 1924. To qualify for it he would have have had to been in the TF for at least 12 years and attended 12 annual camps. War service however counted as double towards the qualification for the award.

Terry Reeves