Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gravestone photo request Albert Henry Woodin

david murdoch

Would anyone have headstone photo for this man? https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/2828894/woodin,-albert-henry/

He was killed (drowned) by being trapped under a truck which overturned into a drainage ditch at Wilburton, Cambridgeshire 22/4/1918.

At the time of his death he was Cpl. 510014 Labour Corps  and serving with 683 Agricultural Labour Company. However CWGC lists him as 5107 East Surrey Regiment.

His Soldiers Died record notes formerly 5107 East Surrey Reg. 

However in my research I have him as being 490 Motor Machine Gun Service. I believe he enlisted in East Surrey Reg in 1914, but by his MMGS number transferred to them last week in December 1914.

By his date of entry and Star roll he was almost certainly a member of 4th MMG Battery MMGS/MGC(M), and then transferred to Labour Corps in his home area after being out wounded or sick.

His MIC shows 490 Motor Machine Gun Service then 510014 Labour Corps, so his link to East Surrey Reg likely only a couple of months home service in 1914. Early MMGS photo of him has him still badged RFA so from late 1914 or early 1915, then later photo with MGC cap badge 1916 on.

91842f05-16d1-4be9-bb51-b41169d1cffb.jpg

You can get one for FREE from 

Wisbech

On 11/07/2020 at 13:44, temptage said:

You can get one for FREE from 

Wisbech

Thanks for that link - I sent off a request and received photo by return email. He has a private grave and at the time no CWGC headstone was requested. Information on CWGC (and SDIGW) presumably the details they were given. He is not on the Wisbech war memorial though he had lived there a number of years and his wife was local.

I've populated his find a grave memorial. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/60093776/albert-henry-woodin

Best Regards David.

Edited by david murdoch