Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

10 July 1916. On This Day: Mametz Wood and David Jones.

seaJane

Thanks for posting seaJane and what a great resource - “In Parenthesis (title, map and dedication),” by Jones, David (1895-1974). The National Library of Wales / The David Jones Literary Estate via First World War Poetry Digital Archive, accessed July 12, 2020, http://ww1lit.nsms.ox.ac.uk/ww1lit/collections/item/6013.

From the web site: "This colourful manuscript map with cross-rides of the trenches is included in a later Typescript version of the dedication to 'In Parenthesis'. Inscription includes: 6. Map South Wales Borderers at Kinson 57dSE X24 'at 4pm general advance to with 40 yds of North Edge of wood...' Shows direction of advance from Queens Nullah, White Trench and Cliff Trench into Mametz Wood during the Battle of the Somme, July 1916 - the subject of Part VII of 'In Parenthesis'. That cross marks the various phases of the battle for Mametz Wood and line V, Y, O and K is mentioned in 'In Parenthesis' (Part VII)."

As this is a hand drawn map, placement on a modern map is indicative but appears to follow the modern Bois de Mametz reasonably well.

289249727_MametzWood.PNG.28cd79194077ad77b8a4c21e73085f75.PNG

Edited by WhiteStarLine
Added marker for Acid Drop Copse

Glad you found it interesting :) .

I thought the map looked familiar, it is shown in 'Words from Mametz Wood' by Huw Davies.

Lets not forget the ill fated attack of 13 RB on Contalmaison. 

Edited by Hyacinth1326

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/07/2020 at 18:45, 593jones said:

I thought the map looked familiar, it is shown in 'Words from Mametz Wood' by Huw Davies.

That was a powerful piece of work, 593, commemorating a battle I knew little about. Thanks for posting.

5 hours ago, MikB said:

That was a powerful piece of work, 593, commemorating a battle I knew little about. Thanks for posting.

My pleasure.  I don't know too much about Mametz Wood, but I came across Mr. Davies' film quite by chance and found it very moving.  I have always liked David Jones' 'In Parenthesis', a remarkable piece of work.

Edited by 593jones

• 3 years later...

Thank you very much for highlighting Mr Davies's film. I am in the middle of re-reading 'In Parenthesis ' at the moment and seeing  Mametz Wood as shown in this film adds to my own appreciation of the text.