The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tanks at theipval Sept 1916

johnboy

I amlooking for info on the above.

Which tanks were they?

Where did they travel from?

Why did they fail in their role?

This drawing by Paul Maze shows the wreck of tank 542 at Mouquet Farm.

542 Tank by Mouquet Farm.jpg

On ‎09‎/‎07‎/‎2020 at 08:50, mebu said:

Suggestion is get hold of Tanks on the Somme by Trevor Pidgeon. All your questions will be answered there.

Do you mean Trevor's "The Tanks At Flers" ? Can't see how that would help with later actions at Thiepval. The Sept 1916 tank unit diaries at TNA are fairly good, but as Trevor himself used to say, after initial clarity detail fell away sharply. There was also Trevor's not having made use of officer's service files. I remember speaking with him about this at Surrey WFA - Mortimore of D Coy was a splendid example.

Tom

I have been reading 54Div war diary and am trying to make sense of the battle

So much planning and practice.  but not a good outcome.

On 09/07/2020 at 21:23, Gerald Moore said:

This drawing by Paul Maze shows the wreck of tank 542 at Mouquet Farm.

542 Tank by Mouquet Farm.jpg

When was this at Moo Cow farm ? My paternal Grandfather was seconded to the 8th Loyal North Lancashire Regiment from the 9th Loyals. He was shot through his right leg in late August ,and hospitalised. He was around 'Leipzig' .

Edited by tom bowler

On 10/07/2020 at 21:30, Tom Tulloch-Marshall said:

Do you mean Trevor's "The Tanks At Flers" ? Can't see how that would help with later actions at Thiepval. The Sept 1916 tank unit diaries at TNA are fairly good, but as Trevor himself used to say, after initial clarity detail fell away sharply. There was also Trevor's not having made use of officer's service files. I remember speaking with him about this at Surrey WFA - Mortimore of D Coy was a splendid example.

Tom

Tanks on the Somme was his subsequent book covering the later actions on the Somme from late September-November 1916: https://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/Tanks-on-the-Somme-Hardback/p/2565

John