Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Manoeuvre

Gareth Davies

This is all getting a little off topic.

Possibly, but still interesting.

Might be worth searching through small wars, it was an important text book at that time. 1906 copy here 1906 Third Edition

Yes, thanks. 

On 08/07/2020 at 13:59, Gareth Davies said:

The word 'manoeuvre' appears 9 times in Part I of the 1912 edition of FSR 1909 which is what the BEF went to war with in 1914 but it is never defined. Where can I find a definition of the term please?

I suggest consulting a dictionary e.g. Oxford English [others are available - though one always fears a rather 'incestuous' relationship(s) when looking at such a source(s) and the military]

Manoeuvre:

Usual first entry is planned and controlled movement and the like [though I might think it also potentially applied to un-planned and uncontrolled movement too]

Second usually is the application of the above to military matters and the like.

Manoeuvres:

The plural of the above - both for non-military and military purposes

The concept of military manoeuvre seems as old as warfare - and of drill! [as does the plural] - Crecy & Agincourt and way further back beyond as has been referred to.

The opposite of static I suggest [attrition being a poor very synonym for this other concept - as manoeuvre can result in such an effect too]

As for a military definition from the period you cite - I'm afraid I can't help

And I baulk at trying to produce another modern definition [as others' have] - sometimes they do rather seem to stick in the craw

In my opinion; manoeuvre(s) is movement(s) - Whatever / whenever / wherever! - and can't fundamentally change [whatever definition the military try to periodically attach to the word!!]

:-) M

On 09/07/2020 at 11:11, Gareth Davies said:

I totally agree, that's why I am writing an article on it. 

Gareth, I don’t know if you’ve seen this paper, but if not I thought it might be of interest to you in connection with your article: https://bootcampmilitaryfitnessinstitute.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/43-we-have-been-here-before-the-evolution-of-the-doctrine-of-pugsley-2011.pdf

Yes, I have that article. Thanks.