Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Passchendaele Map Co-ordinates

MelPack

Any help would be appreciated to find out when  and during which phase of Third Ypres was the trench line between the co-ordinates J.11.c.9.3 and J.10.d.90. 30

on Sheet 28 N.E.3. was established.

Thanks

When you write "established" do you mean attacked or constructed... The 8th and 15th Brigades of the 5th Australian Division advanced that way on the 26th of September 1917 ( Battle of Polygon Wood) their final positions fell in J.11.c so they are definitely in your area of interest... Australian War Diaries are free to download so having a look in those could be a good start... 

Is the Trench on this Map..?

http://digitalarchive.mcmaster.ca/islandora/object/macrepo%3A70113/-/collection

On 07/07/2020 at 14:26, MelPack said:

Any help would be appreciated to find out when  and during which phase of Third Ypres was the trench line between the co-ordinates J.11.c.9.3 and J.10.d.90. 30

on Sheet 28 N.E.3. was established.

Thanks

Hello,

If I see it correctly, there were some old trenches in that area (probably from late 1914) on the maps up to the autumn of 1917. On British maps from December 1917, it is shown as a real trench. I suspect that it was constructed by the British after they captured the area (early October 1917). I don't see any reason for the Germans to have constructed anything there between Spring 1915 and late 1917.

Jan

Edited by AOK4

Jan & Gus

Many thanks that is a great help.

Gus - yes it does appear on that map in the vicinity of Beselare/ Becelaere.