Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Looking for information on Carl Friedrich Lippold. Died in Verdun in 1916

Brandeis

A relative of mine, Carl (sometimes spelled Karl) Friedrich Lippold died fighting for the German Empire in Verdun. My family doesn't know much more other than that and as I am currently building our family tree I would like to know more about his service.

Name: Carl Friedrich Lippold

Birth: 26 SEPT 1872 • Staitz, Greiz, Thuringia, Germany
Death: 11 APR 1916 • Verdun, Meuse, Lorraine, France

All my relatives know is that he died in Verdun and there is a headstone for him somewhere in a war cemetery in that area. I was able to find a photograph of him among very old letters my grand mother kept, I'll share it below. In the back of the picture it says Welvegem 4.07.1915. I take it is Welvegem in Belgium.

I did some research on sites like Ancestry and the Volksbund and I cannot find a precise hit with the matching full name and dates. I found a couple people with very close name matches but is hard to be certain. I thought the photograph could help since it has a date, maybe there is a way to know which units where there on that day?

Carl Friedrich Lippold.jpg

I think this is Karl Lippold, http://des.genealogy.net/search/show/3791377 the date of the Verlustlisten is right for the time of his death.

Charlie

Edit - the Regimental history of FuA. Regt 10 is available on line http://digital.wlb-stuttgart.de/sammlungen/sammlungsliste/werksansicht/?no_cache=1&tx_dlf[id]=13292&tx_dlf

=1

1287FF0B-679D-49DD-80F4-AB96628AADAD.jpeg

Edited by charlie2

@charlie2 Thank you so much, I think you are spot on. I researched the Fußartillerie-Regiment 10 and found a list of the fallen from that regiment which contains the same Karl Lippold and the date of death matches the one I have on my family records, 16.04.1916. 

I'll see now if I can find more about the Fußartillerie-Regiment 10 and his role there, it seems to have been a reserve regiment. Makes sense since he was already in his 40s. 

The website says he was Gefreiter (Private ?) and that he was part of unit 7. Battr. Anyone knows what that means? Were the regiments broken apart or grouped together?

Thanks again!