Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

StephenJohnRoberts1958

Hello, Does anybody know what the suffix after RAMC (either 9A or DA) means on this soldier's medal card? Does anyone know whether it might be possible to trace which unit the soldier served with, solely on the basis of his number - 67359. There are no service records or other clues which I am aware of. Thanks.

Latchford MC.jpg

Edited by StephenJohnRoberts1958
spelling mistake

Hi,

It's just part of the admin cross reference to the medal rolls. Unfortunately, it doesn't really 'mean' anything more than that.

Regards

Chris

They aren't military abbreviations.

They relate to the books (The Rolls) and the pages therein, where the official record of his medal entitlement are made.

The card is just an index to where to find the entry in pre computer days.

4 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

They aren't military abbreviations.

They relate to the books (The Rolls) and the pages therein, where the official record of his medal entitlement are made.

The card is just an index to where to find the entry in pre computer days.

Ah yes. I see.

6 minutes ago, clk said:

Hi,

It's just part of the admin cross reference to the medal rolls. Unfortunately, it doesn't really 'mean' anything more than that.

Regards

Chris

Oh yes I see. Thanks.

Hi,

If you look at his 14/15 Star medal roll page (Ancestry link), he is one of a number of men that are shown as going overseas on 9.11.1915. It might well be a co-incidence, but for the service records I found (67011 Lacey; 67026 Leigh; 67140 Lehave; 67152 Le Cronu; 67957 Lowe; and 67104 Lomax) on the page they all seem to have been 96 (County Palantine) Field Ambulance, RAMC.

Regards

Chris

1 hour ago, clk said:

Hi,

If you look at his 14/15 Star medal roll page (Ancestry link), he is one of a number of men that are shown as going overseas on 9.11.1915. It might well be a co-incidence, but for the service records I found (67011 Lacey; 67026 Leigh; 67140 Lehave; 67152 Le Cronu; 67957 Lowe; and 67104 Lomax) on the page they all seem to have been 96 (County Palantine) Field Ambulance, RAMC.

Regards

Chris

Now that is very interesting. He was a Lancashire man, so that is a strong possibility. Thanks very much Chris.