Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt. James Alfred Parker - Cashiered Feb 29, 1916

PJS

9 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

I thought the letters might be LC in cursive script.  If so, 'Disobeying [a] Lawful Command' is a common charge at courts martial.

True, that would certainly make sense as a charge. Looking at other entries on the page, the same author has written the letter ‘L’ (“Lieut” and the surname “Lay”) but in those cases the letter appears to be formed differently. 

On 06/07/2020 at 18:11, Terry_Reeves said:

An officer could also be cashiered for drunkenness.

TR

And for many other offences too, but Section 16, along with Section 41 if the offence was murder, did not contain the phrase "or such less punishment as is in this Act mentioned" which appears in literally every other Section of the Act which recites offences and punishments.

Ron

10 minutes ago, Ron Clifton said:

And for many other offences too, but Section 16, along with Section 41 if the offence was murder, did not contain the phrase "or such less punishment as is in this Act mentioned" which appears in literally every other Section of the Act which recites offences and punishments.

Ron

Sorry Ron, but I don't see your point. Are you saying I am wrong? .

TR

No, I am saying that you are right, but that other punishments could be inflicted on conviction for drunkenness. Cashiering was mandatory for "conduct unbecoming".

Ron

On 06/07/2020 at 17:17, rolt968 said:

Could an officer be cashiered if he was declared bankrupt? Or would he be "asked" to resign his commission?

(I once researched an officer in the Dragoons who had to resign his commission (at least I think it was that way) in 1856/57 having run up gambling debts of £87,000 which he couldn't pay.)

Is that 87,000 in 2020 money or 1856/57 money?

8 hours ago, JOVE23 said:

Is that 87,000 in 2020 money or 1856/57 money?

In 1856/57 money!

What???  I know we're veering off WW1, but according to this site, £87,000 in 1857 is equivalent in purchasing power to about £9,902,717.24 in 2020, a difference of £9,815,717.24 over 163 years.

Lucky he didn't gamble it in 1865, or it would have been worse - £87,000 in 1865 is worth £11,003,019.15 today!  He got off lightly ...

Can't resist asking for a source for the original story ...

21 hours ago, JOVE23 said:

holy s***!

Quite!

20 hours ago, WhiteStarLine said:

What???  I know we're veering off WW1, but according to this site, £87,000 in 1857 is equivalent in purchasing power to about £9,902,717.24 in 2020, a difference of £9,815,717.24 over 163 years.

Lucky he didn't gamble it in 1865, or it would have been worse - £87,000 in 1865 is worth £11,003,019.15 today!  He got off lightly ...

Can't resist asking for a source for the original story ...

I ran across it while researching a family for my PGDipGenStuds a few years ago. It was the solution to why a few years after the bankruptcy a Scottish fuedal estate passed to his uncle instead of him - his uncles bought him out. Since there may be descendents, I will keep the name to myself.

I knew the equivalent value for 2012 or so. I use the measuring worth site.

RM

Edited by rolt968

• 2 years later...
On 07/07/2020 at 15:36, PJS said:

That is exactly what I was hoping to find. Thank you!

The 1/9th arrived in Shallufa on January 29th and left Shallufa for Kabrit on February 10th. February 11 -22, Battalion engaged in putting the post into a state of defence.

Peter

Incidentally. 

Quotish  rigadier visited the line 1/4th East Yorkshires and asked a subaltern 'Look over the top and tell me what you see.'

'I will not.'

'You are disobeying a direct command?'

I won't do it. Came the reply..now we were talking  cowardice here, but we all would have said the same' 

He waS sent to the rear but it all blew over,  the man had a fine war record.

Captain C M Slack 4th East Yorks relating his war  memories to me some years ago. 

So as little as that possibly.