Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Horace "Jim" Poulter - Highland Light Infantry (maybe)

RobAl

Hi all, 

My family and I tried finding out about my great uncles involvement in WW1 but we can find no records. We have a photo of him in uniform (see below). The good people on this forum pointed out in another section that the hat is from the Highland Light Infantry. The unfortunate thing is that no records can be found for him in this regiment or any other for that matter. Not sure where to go after searching many Horace, Jim, James etc Poulter . I was thinking that maybe he was recorded under the wrong spelling for his last name but still can't find anything. Was hoping a detective on here might be able to help. 

Name: Horace Poulter (but everyone called him Jim )

D.O.B - 24th Nov 1893 (in Ardsley, Yorkshire)

Father - William Henry Poulter (D.O.B Jan 1868 in Ardsley, Yorkshire)

Mother - Polly Poulter (nee Rymer) (D.O.B 10th Jul 1873 in Ardsley, Yorkshire)

Uncle Horace %22Jim%22 Poulter 1.jpg

I searched on ancestry (spit) and found nothing, as you suggested, but I had to look.

I hope to not repeat what others may have asked, but...

Did he serve abroad? If not, there would be no record of any 'campaign' medals.

Was he injured? If not, there will be no record of discharge.

Was his service with a Territorial or Home Service Battalion?

His enlistment, or transfer, to the HLI may have been destroyed by the fire at the London warehouse during WW2.

Without further information on any military details (name, rank, serial number) it is difficult to find him, as you are well aware.

Sorry I can't help.

Tom.

An update.

I found that he is listed in the 1939 Census residing at Lorcroft, Penistone, Yorkshire.

He is a employed as a Gardener, and is married to Jane H. Poulter, b 27 Nov 1901.

This indicates that he survived any WW1 military service.

Hope this helps.

Tom.

Edited by Tom Lang
added info

If I was a betting man...

Name: H Poulter
Birth Date: 23 Dec 1894
Service Number: 389733
Reference Number: ADT000457902

but happy to be wrong!!! 'Cos I'm using Ancestry and several other references to him have the December birthdate.

Do you happen to know when he was discharged?

George

9 hours ago, RobAl said:

Hi all, 

My family and I tried finding out about my great uncles involvement in WW1 but we can find no records. We have a photo of him in uniform (see below). The good people on this forum pointed out in another section that the hat is from the Highland Light Infantry. The unfortunate thing is that no records can be found for him in this regiment or any other for that matter. Not sure where to go after searching many Horace, Jim, James etc Poulter . I was thinking that maybe he was recorded under the wrong spelling for his last name but still can't find anything. Was hoping a detective on here might be able to help. 

Name: Horace Poulter (but everyone called him Jim )

D.O.B - 24th Nov 1893 (in Ardsley, Yorkshire)

Father - William Henry Poulter (D.O.B Jan 1868 in Ardsley, Yorkshire)

Mother - Polly Poulter (nee Rymer) (D.O.B 10th Jul 1873 in Ardsley, Yorkshire)

I forgot to mention that he is wearing the emergency simplified jacket typical of New Army (Kitchener volunteer) soldiers.

1 hour ago, George Rayner said:

but happy to be wrong!!! 'Cos I'm using Ancestry and several other references to him have the December birthdate.

George

It look looks like a likely candidate to me too.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Whilst not his military service, you may find this interesting, from The Barnsley Independent May 11th, 1912.

Courtesy of the British Newspaper Archive. 

Incidentally I was brought up in Ardsley, my school was only 30 yards from the Poulter household on Chapel Street. I notice his Mother was Polly Rymer....there were still Rymer kids at our school in the late 1960's.

Screenshot_20200706-193024.jpg

He was still in Ardsley in 1925 when he entered his dog in the Elsecar Dog Show.

Screenshot_20200706-194507.jpg

Edited by sadbrewer

6 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

I forgot to mention that he is wearing the emergency simplified jacket typical of New Army (Kitchener volunteer) soldiers.

It look looks like a likely candidate to me too.

Interestingly his baptism date was 24th December 1893, so perhaps just an error?

8 minutes ago, sadbrewer said:

Interestingly his baptism date was 24th December 1893, so perhaps just an error?

Clerical errors are common, yes.  There were no computerised word processors and everything was done by hand, especially in Britain which was behind, e.g. the US in the mechanisation of administration.  There were armies of copy clerks and the progress in replacing them with more efficient methods was slow.

Edited by FROGSMILE

4 hours ago, George Rayner said:

George

His 'H' was for Harry and his father was called 'David'.

Purportedly born in Aldershot and he was a butcher not a miner. Also had service number D/8183 or 8183.

Doesn't look like the right man.

(based on records accessible via FindMyPast)

Edited by Ron Abbott

17 minutes ago, Ron Abbott said:

Purportedly born in Aldershot and he was a butcher not a miner. Also had service number D/8183 or 8183.

No the OP's man was definitely Ardsley born...Just a quirk with the dates.

Edited by sadbrewer

48 minutes ago, Ron Abbott said:

Yes this chap 389733 was Tank Corps.

Thanks for all the replies - I have never seen that death notice of William Henry Poulter before. And the family must have liked their Airedales - there are a few photos of one in the old Poulter family photos. Might be the one who came third (see below). And sorry, I didn't think to post the ancestry page. 

Since I have posted this another family member has shared these postcards that were sent from Horace - one features the Highland Light Infantry so Horace must have been involved with them somehow. They were not written on - we think they would have been sent with letters. 

There are also some others sent to Horace's mother (Polly) and sister (Gladys) from other solders (one from a cousin of Horace and others who must be to a lodger at the family address). 

Thought you might be interested in seeing them. 

Jim Cards.jpg

Postcards.jpg

Len's dog 2.jpg

Image7A.jpg

Image2.jpg

Image3A.jpg

Image5A.jpg

Image6A.jpg

Image4A.jpg

7 hours ago, Ron Abbott said:

...as I said happy to be wrong and thanks for clarifying. Saves a dead end!

George

The relative named FW Rymer, who apparently wrote one of the cards is clearly -

CPL M2/099904 Francis William Rymer, RASC

I wonder what he meant by, "I hope they have not taken Horace from you".

How sure are you that Horace was actually in the army and that he is the man in the photo with the HLI headdress?

1 hour ago, Ron Abbott said:

The relative named FW Rymer, who apparently wrote one of the cards is clearly -

CPL M2/099904 Francis William Rymer, RASC

I wonder what he meant by, "I hope they have not taken Horace from you".

How sure are you that Horace was actually in the army and that he is the man in the photo with the HLI headdress?

We’re not sure what was meant by "I hope they have not taken Horace from you". We think it could have been sent after conscription started in 1916 and Horace might have been called up soon after. We only know Horace was in WW1 due to the photo and the cards he sent home - no one remembers anyone talking about it but the few family members who knew Uncle Jim (as he was known) were young at the time. I have considered that he didn’t end up going but how would he have the uniform and also send the postcards (including the one featuring the HLI that links back to the cap)?
Horace (Jim) is definitely the man in the photo. He died in the 1960’s and my mum and a few others remember him well. Uncle Jim had a distinct face - especially his eyes - as you can see from the photo he had something going on with his left eye (another thing no one discussed). We also have a photo of Horace at his brother’s wedding in the 1930s and another with his brother and sister when they were children so it can’t be a mix up. It’s a bit of a mystery this one.

20 hours ago, sadbrewer said:

Whilst not his military service, you may find this interesting, from The Barnsley Independent May 11th, 1912.

Courtesy of the British Newspaper Archive. 

Incidentally I was brought up in Ardsley, my school was only 30 yards from the Poulter household on Chapel Street. I notice his Mother was Polly Rymer....there were still Rymer kids at our school in the late 1960's.

Screenshot_20200706-193024.jpg

He was still in Ardsley in 1925 when he entered his dog in the Elsecar Dog Show.

Screenshot_20200706-194507.jpg

Quite a few Rymers in Ardsley in the 60s including my wife, her sisters and cousins. The Herbert Rymer (nephew) mentioned in the above funeral notice was their grandfather.

Edited by ChrisH53

23 hours ago, Tom Lang said:

An update.

I found that he is listed in the 1939 Census residing at Lorcroft, Penistone, Yorkshire.

He is a employed as a Gardener, and is married to Jane H. Poulter, b 27 Nov 1901.

This indicates that he survived any WW1 military service.

Hope this helps.

Tom.

Also, they show on Electoral records in the Penistone Constituency at Norcroft, Cawthorne. An error, I believe, in the 1939 register.

He was a mineworker in 1911 and had an eye issue so was he turned down during the rush to volunteer for the 2 ’Pals’ battalions of the York and Lancaster regiment early in the war?

Was he conscripted later when the need for manpower lowered the standards required? So would have gone to any regiment that needed replacements.

Francis Rymer hoped Horace hadn't been taken. Did the family feel sympathy for him for his eyes or something else?

Why can we not find a medal card or similar for him? Was there some indiscretion and would that have meant he lost his entitlement?

So many questions about my wife’s relative but am I just over thinking  things? 😂😂😂

18 hours ago, sadbrewer said:

Susan was in my class at Ardsley Oaks!!

When was that? She is about 5 feet from me now. Your name?