Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Casualty Clearing Stations

BDuprest

My GGrandfather was wounded in cambrai in September 1918. He was treated at #22 Casualty Clearing Station before being taken to No5 General Hospital in Rouen. Are there any records involving casulaty clearing stations? Or Hospital records? 

• Admin

Each unit kept a war diary, which are available from the National Archives. (TNA).

They rarely mention names but rather simply record the daily admission and discharge numbers.

The detailed admission and discharge registers themselves have largely been destroyed - those that survived are in the MH106 series at TNA (also available at FindMyPast).

All about the available records in the MH106 series can be found here:

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/how-to-research-a-soldier/hospital-admissions-and-discharge-records/

Regards

Russ

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the direction on information. Im having a some difficulties navigation the archives in searching for other records. My GGrandfathers records showed that after leaving Rouen, he then was sent to War Hospital Exeter, then to PPCRC Bexhill, then on to 5 Canadian General Hospital Kirkdale. My searches are showing no records for those, though I must admit I may be searching the wrong keywords. Does anyone know if records still exist for these? 

The type of hospital records you're seeking are few and far between. The best way to search is HERE. Note that this will only tell you which archive holds the records and these records are not just WWI.

By the time you're looking at, Exeter had 7 war hospitals. I'm not sure which if any of the results for Exeter are for a WH. Does the record not give a number?

PPCRC.

Better luck here. I surprised myself and found a 'war' diary for PPCRC Cooden Camp, Bexhill. This is HERE. I entered Princess hospital for the PPCRC and you could try BEXHILL, KIRKDALE or 5 CGH and see what comes up.

I doubt you'll find hospital records as such but there are a lot of results for journals, photos, letters etc

TEW

Had a look at his record and can see he was admitted to Exeter WH 6/10/18 Multiple GSW legs and eye. One sheet may be stamped III Exeter WH which would make sense as it was the West of England Eye Infirmary.

1780529316_Screenshot_20200715-175337_AdobeAcrobat.jpg.1c396cb7c57505669e41692b308c4a0a.jpg

There are some records held in Exeter Heritage Centre which says amongst other things register of patients 1809-1972. I'm not convinced this will include the war period.

He was at some point transferred to No. 1 Section Exeter WH, not sure if this is part of No. 3 or it means No. 1 Exeter WH.

Interesting to see his field medical card in his record for this injury.

TEW