Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

6th Battalion Northamptonshire regiment

Graham Foster

Hi folks , I was hoping someone here would have information on two privates in the Northamptonshire 6th Battalion who died serving their country one is 

Albert Henry Foster who died on the 25/10/1916 aged 29 

service number 25475

The other who is possibly his brother was Charles Foster who died of his wounds on the 2/7/1916 age unknown (It should be around 26 

service number 14634..  ..

these two men were my great uncles ....

my grandad was John William foster who was 21 in 1916 who joined up with his brother Percy Foster who would have been 19 in 2016 these two have consecutive army numbers and were in the East Surrey Rifles and survived the war as they were in a completely different theatre .... but nether the less a real band of brothers .... It’s Charles in the Northamptonshire 6th Battalion I’m having trouble confirming a few facts like his age his birth date .... so any light anyone can shed on the first two soldiers I would greatly appreciate 

thank you 

Graham Foster 

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. With any luck @Stebie9173 will be along soon.

Michelle 

Thank you .... Michelle

I have been researching mine and my brothers ancestry and new so little of my grandads life .... John william Foster died in 1961 and my dad his son died in 2014 and I knew nothing of my Grandads and his brothers war exploits ... I can conclusively prove that John Percy and Albert were my direct relations and they had a brother Charles ... the only linked clue so far is Albert did Serve and die in the 6th Battalion  Northamptonshire regiment and the Charles Foster that died was also in the 6th Battalion .... if his age is around 26 ? At the time of death it would be great to have that confirmation.

best wishes 

Graham 

I'm on it, but some locations and other details would help. E.g:

• Where did John William Foster die?
  • What was his wife's name? Maiden name?
  • Where did they live in the late 1800s/early 1900s (what town)?

Thanks.

Acknown

14634 Charles Foster, according to Soldiers Died in the Great War, was born at St Michaels, Northampton and enlisted at Northampton. His date of enlistment would have been 5 September 1914. He embarked to France with the rest of 6th Battalion on  26-7-1915. He was awarded the 1914-15 Star, British War Medal and Victory Medal.

He was reported as having Died of Wounds as a Private per the Times of 18-8-1916. Soldiers Died also states that he died of Wounds with 6th Battalion on 2-7-1916.

The Register of Soldiers effects state that he died at No. 96 Field Ambulance and that his sole legate was his mother, Susan.

The letters of a 6th battalion officer, Denzil Heriz-Smith mention that eight men of Sec. Lt. Clement Geoffrey Keys platoon in "A" Company were killed by a shell landing in their trench in Pommiers Redoubt on the morning of 2-7-1916. It is possible that he was one of the eight.

I think that this would make him the son of Henry and Suan Foster who, in 1911, were resident at 65 St Edmunds Road Northampton. He was 14 years old then so between 18 and 20 in 1916?

Steve.

Was Albert the son of Henry and Alice Foster of Esher in Surrey?

Steve.

3 minutes ago, Acknown said:

I'm on it

... but too late! Happy to look up any further specific questions if you like. Susan was awarded a pension of 5s per week from 17 Apr 17 (Pension records held on Fold3, courtesy of WFA). She lived in Northampton but I can't decipher the street name.

Acknown

Thanks Steve , that conclusively proves I’m on a red herring their .. 

That Charles foster is not my Grandads brother ...he would have been 26... ish  and yes Albert is the son of Henry and Alice Foster who are my great great grandad and grandma ... who had a son called Charles A Foster in the 1901 census aged 11 hence my fixation with his age in 2016 of 26 so the Charles I thought was his brother ... because I have conclusive proof the other 3 brothers were in the Great War I made a presumption that Charles joined up

too ! Maybe he did but at the moment I don’t know that for sure but he was certainly the correct age ! 

11 minutes ago, Stebie9173 said:

Steve.

11 minutes ago, Stebie9173 said:

Steve.

Yes Steve , I would love any detail you have on Albert Henry Foster 

Edited by Graham Foster

14 minutes ago, Acknown said:

I'm on it, but some locations and other details would help. E.g:

• Where did John William Foster die?
  • What was his wife's name? Maiden name?
  • Where did they live in the late 1800s/early 1900s (what town)?

Thanks.

Acknown

Johns wife’s maiden name was Sylvia Scott and they lived in 

Esher Surrey 

13 hours ago, Stebie9173 said:

Steve.

Hi Steve , yes he was and his parents Henry and Alice were my great grandparents .... is it possible too forward any information of the detail of his death In 2016 please 

best wishes 

Graham