Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What unit.

ChrisH53

Attached is a photo of Horace ’Jim’ Poulter who was born 1893 Ardsley, near Barnsley. He is a relative of my wife and we have struggled to find any records of his service in WW1. From this photo, can anyone recognise his regiment and/or trade with the army?

A7994DDE-78B3-4729-88EE-F1164DD82C96.jpeg

It's a Scottish unit with  glengarry headgear.  First instinct is Royal Scots - an Edinburgh based regiment but I'm sure the true cap badge experts will confirm. 

...... my money's on HLI.  He is wearing an Economy style jacket with the standard GS buttons.

HLI.jpg

Edited by TullochArd

HLI would get my vote too. 

Excuse my lack of knowledge, HLI, Highland Light Infantry?

Edited by ChrisH53

3 minutes ago, ChrisH53 said:

..... correct...... however no sign of any Poulter in the HLI so far......

Edited by TullochArd

7 minutes ago, Grantp08 said:

Think you gents are correct. Google shows Royal Scots glengarry having the checker board band where as HLI is plain. 

12 minutes ago, Steven Broomfield said:

HLI would get my vote too. 

1 minute ago, ChrisH53 said:

..... correct...... however no sign of any Poulter in the HLI so far......

30 minutes ago, Grantp08 said:

Think you gents are correct. Google shows Royal Scots glengarry having the checker board band where as HLI is plain. 

'Diced' is the term. Checkerboards are for Americans. ;)

Edited by Steven Broomfield

Definitely Highland Light Infantry as m’learned friends have made clear.  Given the apparent lack of any record with that regiment my guess would be that he was transferred to another unit if there was any service overseas.

757BC87A-CC92-4AB1-9694-45BAB056ADC9.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

New member here. Thanks to ChrisH53 for posting this. Horace was my great uncle. I can’t find any war records for Jim (as he was known). I’ve been using the records on Ancestry but I’ve hit a bit of a dead end. Any help would be greatly appreciated 

47 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Definitely Highland Light Infantry as m’learned friends have made clear.  Given the apparent lack of any record with that regiment my guess would be that he was transferred to another unit if there was any service overseas.

757BC87A-CC92-4AB1-9694-45BAB056ADC9.jpeg

Excellent photo, thank you.

7 minutes ago, RobAl said:

New member here. Thanks to ChrisH53 for posting this. Horace was my great uncle. I can’t find any war records for Jim (as he was known). I’ve been using the records on Ancestry but I’ve hit a bit of a dead end. Any help would be greatly appreciated 

Hi Rob!

No Poulter with an HLI connection but lots of Poulters  I tried Horace/H/Jim/James/J/ and got the same results as you - nothing.

As FROGSMILE says "Given the apparent lack of any record with that regiment my guess would be that he was transferred to another unit if there was any service overseas."

There is, of course, the possibility that he had someone else’s hat on when the photo was taken. But, there should be something, somewhere medal card or whatever to show that he existed. A conundrum.

Rob and I will have to keep digging. Something will turn up.

28 minutes ago, ChrisH53 said:

There is, of course, the possibility that he had someone else’s hat on when the photo was taken. But, there should be something, somewhere medal card or whatever to show that he existed. A conundrum.

Rob and I will have to keep digging. Something will turn up.

I suggest you repost this as a new thread in ‘soldiers and units’, explaining what you’ve learned so far.  There are more genealogy detectives who focus there and who might be able to help.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Hi Chris. I think that is good advice from Frogsmile. I still can't find anything about Horace (Jim) on any records. I just found out his proper D.O.B - 24th Nov 1893, Ardsley, Yorkshire.

4 minutes ago, RobAl said:

Hi Chris. I think that is good advice from Frogsmile. I still can't find anything about Horace (Jim) on any records. I just found out his proper D.O.B - 24th Nov 1893, Ardsley, Yorkshire.

The more accurate the detail that you post in the ‘soldiers and their units’ section of the forum the more likely you are to get a proper ID of the military circumstances.

Edited by FROGSMILE

I agree Rob, you must have a better quality copy of the photo (my copy was borrowed from your Ancestry profile for him).

Thanking you all for your help, a postcard has been traced by another relative confirming HLI

AD949486-87BF-426D-8AAD-4D24F6F3A6ED.jpeg

Edited by ChrisH53