Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A "Girl Pals" Battalion ?

davidbohl

Was this a common thought across the country ?

Dave

From the BNA

1494940324_Screenshot2020-07-05at12_28_33.png.b00e7662b555624ff357c0e2a46790b1.png

Published: Friday 14 December 1917
Newspaper: Liverpool Echo

Blimey they’ll be wanting the vote next🤣

Seriously, I have never seen an “advert” like that before, one could probably, safely assume that the sentiment occurred throughout the country. However, with the army being a ruthless stickler for its brand of efficiency in its paperwork system(s), the powers that be would probably have ignored such requests and pointed the ladies in the direction of nursing or Land Army. (my thoughts only)

Interesting piece of social history Dave, I will certainly have a look for more details

An interesting snippet.

2 hours ago, Knotty said:

Seriously, I have never seen an “advert” like that before, one could probably, safely assume that the sentiment occurred throughout the country. However, with the army being a ruthless stickler for its brand of efficiency in its paperwork system(s), the powers that be would probably have ignored such requests and pointed the ladies in the direction of nursing or Land Army. (my thoughts only)

By 1918/19 I guess they probably had changed their minds a bit about some of the value of the girls [and we certainly know many did their bit outside the Army]

My Grandmother worked in an Army Records Office demobbing the lads in the UK - probably not so grand as being a 'clerk' but certainly running around finding and moving the paperwork

[probably doing herself out of a future similar clerking job to boot!]

;-) M

Edited by Matlock1418

This is definitely new to me... very interesting... 

M.

• 2 weeks later...