Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Totally unaccounted for

MaxD

I seem to recall seeing somewhere on the forum, in the context of the well oiled system for reporting strengths/casualties etc,  a statistic for the percentage of men assessed as totally unaccounted for.   Did I imagine it or is there such a figure?

Max

I'm not sure that this

LLT page

directly answers your question.

I too vaguely recall a discussion here on the GWF but can't locate it.

Thank you - not in those figures but that page is also useful in the education of someone who can't get their head round the idea of an unknown grave so thanks for that.  The context was the accuracy and efficiency of keeping track of the soldiers, someone may recall it!

Thanks for your time

Max

Is this connected to the table at the end of the 2nd 1914 volume of the Official History? The table first sets out casualties at Ypres between 14th October and 30th November 1914 reported at the time and then gives revised figures as a result of later work.  The revised figures include some 2,759 that cannot be allocated as killed, wounded or missing.  No details of the later work are given but it appears that in the confusion and tempo of the First Battle of Ypres the casualty reporting system was under considerable strain.    

IMG_20200705_0005.pdf

Official History extract courtesy of Naval & Military Press

The "unallotted" is certainly getting near what I was after.  

I would put more on the forum about a specific case but prefer to wait until a document I am waiting for arrives from the probate registry..

Thank you for digging that out!

Max 

Thanks Kath - mine is someone who has been officially assumed dead Dec 1917 but who does not appear on CWGC, Effects register, SDGW, not listed in FreeBMD deaths, not listed in army overseas deaths.  I am awaiting something from the probate registry (I know the detail of the probate grant)  It is the "lost" in a records sense that he seems to fall into.

Thanks anyway

Max