Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

200652 Sgt John Harry DAMON 2nd/4th Bn Dorsets also T/2nd Lt RAF p.248304

pjwmacro

Not sure whether I should put this in soldiers or airmen, since 200652 Sgt John Harry Damon (known as Jack) was both - having enlisted into 2nd/4th Bn Dorset Regt in August 1914 he transferred to the RAF in 1918 .He is the grandfather of a friend, on whose behalf I am attempting to find out abit more, particularly about his war time service. Particularly after some help deciphering and interpreting the bits of his records below - the writing is awful - but I guess we are lucky to have at least some fragments of his soldier record.

The basics: b. 26 Jul 1892 in London. Was living in Dorset in 1901 and 1911 - father, Christopher was a policemen. In 1911 he became a railway worker. Enlisted in 2nd/4th Dorsets in Aug 1914, deployed to India with them in late 1914/early 1915. Returned back to Egypt with the battalion  in August 1917.   The rest of their war would be spent with the 75th Division in Egypt and Palestine.  Their first action was in the Third Battle of Gaza, when in late October and early November they held the front line for a fortnight during which they repulsed three Turkish attacks.   They fought at Nebi Samwil (the Tomb of Samuel) in late November before Allenby’s capture of Jerusalem on 9th December 1917. And I think this is about the time that he left the Army and transferred to the RAF so whether he was with the Dorsets when they fought at Deir Ballut on 12th March 1918 - I am not sure. It also - to me - looks as if he spent some time in hospital with both the Army (74 CCS???) and the RAF - so whether he was present at the 2/4 actions above - not clear?

Any help on his RAF career would be appreciated - so far as I can tell, never saw action with a front line squadron - I see 193/194 TS - I think 193 and 194 Training Squadrons - but I cannot decipher anything else. But he only appears to have flown DH6 - a training machine?

After discharge he married Hilda Mary Beck in Oct 1920 and I think returned to working for the railways. The couple had a son in 1925 (also John - my friends father) and a daughter about 1927 (Dorothy). He is shown on the 1939 census. John Harry Damon died summer 1976 in Surrey according to the records - although the friend thought it was Brockenhurst Hants. (Possibly died in hospital in Surrey but lived in Brockenhurst).

As I say, any help in deciphering the records shown, gratefully appreciated - or (longshot!) if anyone comes across a photo of him in uniform.

Thanks, Paul447927188_Army-servicerecord.jpg.d678207f0ab3fd33f51cc2e41fdb6044.jpg

Army-med-record.jpg

RAF-papers.jpg

Looks likely that your man was admitted to 145 Field Ambulance (Palestine) on 29 Nov 1917 and then to 74 Casualty Clearing Station (Palestine ) on 2 Dec 1917,so also likely that he fought at Nebi Samwil around this time. Then seems to have posted to the Royal Flying Corps 24 Dec 1917 and later to 193 TS, date on Army record shows 7 Feb 1918,attached No 3 Cadet Wing, later to RAF which was active from 1 Apr 1918.

22 hours ago, sotonmate said:

Looks likely that your man was admitted to 145 Field Ambulance (Palestine) on 29 Nov 1917 and then to 74 Casualty Clearing Station (Palestine ) on 2 Dec 1917,so also likely that he fought at Nebi Samwil around this time. Then seems to have posted to the Royal Flying Corps 24 Dec 1917 and later to 193 TS, date on Army record shows 7 Feb 1918,attached No 3 Cadet Wing, later to RAF which was active from 1 Apr 1918.

Thanks Sotonmate

Couldn't workout 145 Fd Hospital.

Does anyone know if any records exist for 145 Fd Hospital, or 74 CCS, or indeed for 193/194 Training Squadrons? (I seem to recall there have been threads on the training squadrons in the past - so I`ll have another look!)

Regards, Paul

There are three War Diaries for the MEF portion of your enquiry, none of them are digital as yet so would need to be read at Kew.

2/4 Dorsets ( 233 Infantry Brigade of 75 Division) WO95/4690:

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4557843

145 Field Ambulance (a composite Diary for several units) WO95/4685:

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4557838

74 Casualty Clearing Station ( again a composite Diary) WO95/4734:

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4557887

There is unlikely to be a mention of your subject's name in the medical Diaries, but a possibility that 74 CCS MIGHT list some names. Often CCSs didn't do that as they had another Register for Admissions and Discharges in a series called MH106 at Kew, but there is only a small representative sample of these Registers left nowadays.

Edited by sotonmate

8 hours ago, sotonmate said:

none of them are digital as yet so would need to be read at Kew

8 hours ago, sotonmate said:

There is unlikely to be a mention of your subject's name in the medical Diaries

Thank you - I thought that might be the case.

Regards