Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

OBE for Miss Walker Munitions Worker

draperju

The Morpeth Herald 25 July 1919 records:

Miss Walker, munitions worker from Ashington Northumberland had been awarded the OBE.

She showed great bravery during an explosion in the factory.

Can anyone supply me with more imformation on this incident.

Best wishes Draperju

If my geography of NE England is ok, Ashington & Morpeth are about 20 miles from the largest single company producer of munitions in WW1, Armstrong-Whitworths, whose Elswick Works on the River Tyne near Newcastle covered a mile of the river bank.

Edited by travers61

I would have thought an OBE an unlikely award for this sort of service. Most munitions workers were given the MOBE (medal) and I can only see one matching award from the London Gazette 8 January 1918.    Mary Walker "For courage in continuing to work in an explosives factory under circumstances of grave danger."

Norman 

On 05/07/2020 at 21:06, travers61 said:

If my geography of NE England is ok, Ashington & Morpeth are about 20 miles from the largest single company producer of munitions in WW1, Armstrong-Whitworths, whose Elswick Works on the River Tyne near Newcastle covered a mile of the river bank.

Tank you for you reply which gets me on the right track.

23 hours ago, royalredcross said:

I would have thought an OBE an unlikely award for this sort of service. Most munitions workers were given the MOBE (medal) and I can only see one matching award from the London Gazette 8 January 1918.    Mary Walker "For courage in continuing to work in an explosives factory under circumstances of grave danger."

Norman