Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Junk shop find

Alisonmallen62

D87EFF2B-5A7B-4F8C-9AFA-61984227800C.jpeg.fbecd8e295ce88e9356786cbdac25773.jpegThis very smart, handsome young man is 2nd Lt Alfred Rothwell Carr.  The picture was found some years ago in a junk shop and the purchaser felt sad that a first war soldier’s photo ended up there.  On the back there was some writing which the current owner couldn’t read but it says Sec Leuitenant A R Carr.  From the cap badge I believed it was Kings Liverpool and found some ancestry info and his war grave.  The intention is to locate family and return the photo to them.  The gentleman Who bought the pic has now passed away and I am told the photo was displayed in every home the family lived in. I have informed them that  he was killed in 1917 at Arras.  I will be sending info regarding his medal card, the fact that he was from a relatively wealthy family of manufacturers, went to boarding school and have contacted a possible family member.  I am also aware he was in the navy I think possibly through school cadets and he was given a gallantry award.  Can anyone give me more details please to help the current owner as she and her mum intend to visit his grave if family cannot be located.  Hopefully I will hear something soon on that.  It seems sad that this man’s photo was discarded for whatever reason to a junk shop.  He is currently with a Derbyshire family.  Whilst he came from Sale he went to school in Buxton.  Born 1888 son of John and Jane carr. I have census and probate info.  Thank you I am sure you will be more able than me to

Edited by Alisonmallen62
Removed private info

Yes I do many thanks

You mention his Medal Index Card for Army service but (regarding the naval experience) there are two naval records for an Alfred Rothwell Carr below his army entry on the TNA's Discovery Catalogue listings. You can download them for free at the moment (Covid-19) after a short registration process:

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_q=Alfred+rothwell+carr&_sd=&_ed=&_hb=

seaJane

Edited by seaJane
typo

Many thanks folks

11 hours ago, Alisonmallen62 said:

he was in the navy

Royal Naval Division as Z/731 according to service record at the NA [SJ has given you a listing in post #5 above]

11 hours ago, Alisonmallen62 said:

he was given a gallantry award

Found in London Gazette a Mention in Dispatches with RN Div as Z/731 https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29354/supplement/10999

Commission entry in London Gazette https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29841/supplement/11695 [top right of page]

:-) M

Initially to 7th (Reserve) Bn of KLR.  CWGC says 9 Bn.  A very quick check of 1/9 and 2/9 war diaries for the date of death shows no sign. of him.  1/9 were in Flanders but he is buries south east of Arras.  He is not included in 2/9 Bn list of officers at the end of March 1917.  Will make a more considered examination later when I have time.

Edited by Don Regiano

Born 'Wythburn", Brooklands, Cheshire on 23/10/87 the son of John Lindley Carr (smallware manufacturer) and Jane Carr (formerly Hoyle). At the time of the war his father was living at 'Redbrook', Timperley, Cheshire. He originally enlisted as an AB No Z731 (London) in the Royal Naval Division seeing 8 months service at Gallipoli. He served on the HQ Staff of 1st Bn Brigade RND landing at Gallipoli on 27/4/15 until the evacuation in January 1916. He was mentioned in General Sir Ian Hamilton's despatches of 22/9/15. His commission application for the TF is dated 1/4/16 and states that he was 5' 8" tall, educated at Buxton College, Derbyshire, occupation insurance clerk. Commissioned in  9 KLR 23/11/16. Joined 17 KLR 13/1/17. Killed with 17 KLR 9/4/17. He left estate valued £2942 7s 2d.

War diary for 17 KLR for April 1917 begins here:

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/60779/images/43112_2334_2-00095?ssrc=&backlabel=Return&backurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ancestry.co.uk%2F

He is mentioned as killed on third page.  Diary contains the operational order included at end of month.  Detailed report also contained in 19 KLR war diary.  Not listed by name on the date of his arrival in January 1917.

NOTE:  Ancestry have mixed up the 17th and 19th KLR war diaries in their indexing!  Quelle surprise!

This is really great all many thanks indeed.  It is just great to find a pic in a junk shop then attach the history to the man I am sure the young lady will be thrilled.  

A message of thanks for assistance from the young lady and now she is in touch with two of A R Carr’s family what a lovely thing to bring this soldier’s life to the forefront and unite family.