Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private Ernest Edmund Hills 7th (City of London) Battalion - 353640

Kindermannn

Hi,

I'm trying to piece together the service of the man in the title. I've had a look through the war diary available for free on the national archive website but I'm struggling to understand the handwriting and context. I'd love to find out what happened to him

He died of woulds on 6.6.1917

And information or assistance would be greatly appreciated

Where else have you looked? His medal index card shows an earlier service number (7367) also with the 7th Bttn. The 6 digit number came with the renumbering of territorials in 1917. I don't have ancestry access so cant check to see if he has a surviving service record.

Have a look at the long long trail linked at the top of the page

Simon

Forgot to mention he's buried in Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery, Belgium.

Hi Simon,

His service record is missing however I have his pension records, medal roll and grave location. The date of death is listed as 6.6.17, died of wounds.

I’ve read through the regimental war diary for and around that date, I suppose he could have died of wounds sustained at any point over the preceding days or weeks? I suppose I’ll never know!

I just don’t want to miss a detail I may be overlooking!

wish I'd known the first bit before I bothered.

Edited by mancpal
fed up

Unusually his Soldiers Effects record doesnot give a place of death

And one other little thing, is it a coincidence that in your 3yr old thread regarding Sutton Mandeville the letter from your 'gt grandad' shows the same service number as shown for the man above who bears a completely different name.

It would be a massive coincidence to research two men with the same service number by accident.

May I suggest that something is awry, you never know, the long long trail may be able to help

Simon

Edited by mancpal

That mystery has indeed been solved! The man I was enquiring about before is no other than Ernest Edmund Hills. That letter was signed off “Daddy” my great uncle always assumed that it was sent by his grandfather James William Neale, it turns out James died in 1912 and it was Edmund who subsequently married his grandmother in 1913, he sent sent that letter which was passed down the through the family

Your above post indicates perfectly what I am getting at. If you have all these snippets then to avoid other members wasting time ,as I have tonight, then post what you already know. 

Short of that I and other members will need to dust off their tarot cards or polish their crystal ball in order to assist you.

Simon

We really enjoy what we do.

Our own research be it specific or general and helping each other with their enquiring.

It does help to have as much information as possible right from the start...saves a lot of time and frustration for everybody. Snarky or not it was an accurate point to make.

George

Then do you own research, I tried to assist and all I get for my efforts is you drip feeding information and me having to find out that you already know that this thread is connected to your previous one dealing with the SAME man, nobody else could have known either as you only revealed this latest gem 36 minutes ago. If the 'snarky' comment regards wasting peoples time who are only trying to help then I will not be bothered  attempting in any of your future research

Edited by mancpal

1 minute ago, mancpal said:

Then do you own research, I tried to assist and all I get for my efforts is you drip feeding information and me having to find out that you already know that this thread is connected to your previous one dealing with the SAME man, nobody else could have known either as you only revealed this latest gem 36 minutes ago. If the 'snarky' comment regards wasting peoples time who are only trying to help then I will not be bother attempting in any of your future research

let’s take a step back and relax a second. I came to this forum to see if any like minded individuals would be interested in helping me piece together that happened to the man in the title as per the regimental war diaries, it’s right there in the first post.

I apologies if I didn’t inform you that I have the information, I took it as given that I knew the basic details seeing as I have his service number and regiment. I didn’t wish to waste anyone’s time buy asking for help with the information I asready have, perhaps I should have been clearer, lesson learned. 

As for my previous post 3 years ago, I didn’t want to muddy the waters and confuse people by highlighting a previous failed line of enquiry, besides how does it matter? The marital status of the man I’m trying to identify doesn’t matter at all. And the digitised war diary’s weren’t available at the time. Should I have continued with my enquiry on that post?

All I asked for is help with interpreting the regimental war diary.  

You asked no specific questions re War diary.. No copies of pages you could not read etc.

Its OK Johnboy,  somebody will read it and explain the detail, just won't be me

Edited by mancpal

Hi Kindermannn,

40 minutes ago, Kindermannn said:

All I asked for is help with interpreting the regimental war diary.

If you were to post an image, and highlight what precisely you're finding difficult to read, hopefully someone will help out. Though I suspect that nobody would be up for transcribing the whole thing relevant to his (5 months) overseas service dates, per those shown on the medal roll that you already have.

Did you find his 'will', and do you already know his 'join up' date?

Regards

Chris

Edited by clk

I have more important things to worry about, too

Second thread today i've contributed to and similar result

11 hours ago, mancpal said:

Its OK Johnboy,  somebody will read it and explain the detail, just won't be me

I have more important things to worry about, too

Second thread today i've contributed to and similar result

Edited by johnboy