Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Leonard Evans, Driver: 5c Reserve Brigade Royal Field Artillery

Amanda Crittenden

Hello everyone!

I have been digging into my family history for quite some time, and just recently tried to knock down some of the walls I've encountered when attempting to learn more about my Great Grandfather's time during WWI.

He was 22 when he enlisted in September of 1914.  From what I've read this would have been voluntary enlistment at the time as Conscription did not come into play until the Military Service Act was passed in January of 1916.  As of the 1911 England Census, the family was living in Kidderminster.   He served nearly 3  years with the army; but I cannot find his service record.  This must mean that it was one of the 60% of WWI records that fell victim to WWII bombing.  If they were still living in Kidderminster in 1914 when he enlisted, where would he have had to travel to sign up - anyone know?

I was able, though, to find his pension records as well as his Silver War Badge record and Index Card.  I already knew his Regimental No (can this ever change btw?) and that he was listed as a "Dvr R.F.A. 5c Res Bde" on his War Badge record.  His War Badge Record shows these particulars:

"R.F.A. B.2.
Roll of Individuals Entitled to the War Badge

Unit Discharged From:  5c Res Bde; Badge # 205,885; Date of Enlistment:  7-9-14; Date of Discharge:  10-7-17; Wounds (392 (xvi) - "Kings Regulations: "No longer physically fit for war service")
Did he fight overseas:  yes"
Stamped at the top with
"A.G. 10
26 Jun 1917
R.a. 654
WAR OFFICE"

it was then signed off  in Woolwich on June 23, 1917 by H. J. Barker Capt for ?/c R.H. & R.F.A."

From what I read, the 5c Reserve Brigade did not see overseas action...so I can only assume he was moved to this brigade after his wounds and is the brigade he was discharged from, but not the brigade he was injured in.  B.2. Must be the brigade he was wounded in?

In addition, his war badge index card states:

1914-15
(his particulars)
Stamped on the side under "Roll on which included (if any) is marked:

Medal:            Roll:

Victory            RFA/332 B 46633
British             --"--  --"--
15 Star:          RFA/1 a/B 1921

and at the foot, stamped:
'Theatre of war:

SWB List RA/654 (written:) (1) France
Qualifying Date:  18-7-15'

So to me he was injured in France on 18-7-15 and then was sent to the 5c Reserve Brigade??  

Any input would be so helpful as I cannot locate any further records to tell me where his WWI journey took him.

Thank you.

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. 18/7/15 was the date he arrived overseas and entered a theatre of war. 

There's lots of information on how to research a soldier and interpret medal cards on the Long Long Trail website.

Michelle 

Thank you very much for the warm welcome and the additional research resource!  I will most definitely look into that!
I still hold out hope that his full service record is out there (as he was discharged prior to the end of the war and it sounds like maybe those were housed elsewhere), but it's looking fairly grim.  
Very much appreciate your guidance :)

Further to this, if he entered France 18/7/1915  this may be linked to unit in 19th Division, and I have a note that 88th Brigade RFA arrived in France that day [and men of that Brigade have that on their medal cards]. Other artillery Brigades of that division [86th, 87th and 89th?]  and also the 19th Divisional Ammunition Column, may also be arriving the same day - so that would need to be checked - but that is one possibility. The date-of-entry can be a useful guide to identifying the unit..at least to Division level..  one of those will be likely. And trained at Bulford, I think,  before going to France..

2 hours ago, Amanda Crittenden said:

He was 22 when he enlisted in September of 1914.

YoB 1892

Date of Discharge:  10-7-17; Wounds (392 (xvi)

Welcome to GWF

Just to help clarify [and perhaps help more generally] - was his RFA number possibly 19933 ???

As I seem to have found a likely MIC & Pension Card [as you mentioned above]

If not, it probably would help if you could please share.

Cheers.

:-) M

Edited by Matlock1418

I was able, though, to find his pension records

By his Pension Records, do you mean his (black & white) service record that were stored somewhere else other than Arnside, and survived the blitz?

Or do you mean his Pension Card (colour) showing admin details of his claim?

1 hour ago, battiscombe said:

Further to this, if he entered France 18/7/1915  this may be linked to unit in 19th Division, and I have a note that 88th Brigade RFA arrived in France that day [and men of that Brigade have that on their medal cards]. Other artillery Brigades of that division [86th, 87th and 89th?]  and also the 19th Divisional Ammunition Column, may also be arriving the same day - so that would need to be checked - but that is one possibility. The date-of-entry can be a useful guide to identifying the unit..at least to Division level..  one of those will be likely. And trained at Bulford, I think,  before going to France..

Wow, I definitely need to map this out...can be so confusing (to a newbie) lol.  I do believe I have a photo of his medals (my uncle has his originals)...and the British War Medal was inscribed with the regiment so I'll see if there are any further indications there.  

1 minute ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

By his Pension Records, do you mean his (black & white) service record that were stored somewhere else other than Arnside, and survived the blitz?

I'll take some photos of what I have and post them...might be easier to see the info that way too :)  

Aside from his WWII Rejection forms (due to his WWI wounds), this is all the official documents I was able to find.

Firstly, attached below is the "Roll of Individuals Entitled to the War Badge" which lists Leonard Evans, 19933 mid-page. Image courtesy of Ancestry.ca.
Secondly, I've attached his Medal Roll Index Card i found which has the France reference.  Image courtesy of Ancestry.ca as well as The National UK Archives (purchased).
Lastly, I've attached his Pension Record (2 pages). Image courtesy of Fold3.com.

Roll of Individuals entitled to the War Badge - Leonard Evans 19933.png

British Army WWI Medal Roll Index Card - Leonard Evans 19933.jpg

Pension Record Pg 1 - Leonard Evans WWI 19933.jpg

Pension Record Pg 2 - Leonard Evans WWI 19933.jpg

Edited by Amanda Crittenden

I just found a new clue; as noted on his WWII Enlistment Application Form R2067; says:
"Campaigns, Medals and Decorations:

Expeditionary Force France 1915, 16 & 17"  

So that's another clue I can follow up on.

On 03/07/2020 at 16:19, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

On 03/07/2020 at 16:20, Amanda Crittenden said:

I'll take some photos of what I have and post them...might be easier to see the info that way too

OK, that's  a Pension Card from Fold3.

Question:  When I searched for service files, nothing comes up for him.  Would it be safe to say his service file was one of the many lost during WWII, or is there hope it exists somewhere?  He served nearly 3 years and it sure would be interesting to see what his full term looked like.  He was discharged before the end of the war so I was hoping it would maybe have been stored elsewhere but I'm thinking maybe not?
Thank you.

Edited by Amanda Crittenden

In addition, could the "B. 2." notation at the top of the Roll of Individuals eligible for the War Badge might indicate "II Brigade" as part of the 16th Division Expeditionary Force?  

12 hours ago, Amanda Crittenden said:

could the "B. 2." notation at the top of the Roll of Individuals eligible for the War Badge might indicate "II Brigade"

No, it appears on a lot of pages in the Silver War Badge books for the RFA and probably denotes a department that dealt with the badges at the time. I think you have found all there is regarding Leonard's war service via the usual online resources. All I can suggest is looking in newspapers covering the area where he lived, you may need to subscribe to the British Newspaper Archive to make the search easier - https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/. It is also available through a subscription to Findmypast but this might work out more expensive.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Amanda,

As something of a novice here compared to others it is unusual for me to be able to help, but scanning through the comments here I don't think anybody has pointed out something which you may not be aware of (given your question about which brigade he was in). It seems to me that he was in 332 Brigade B Battery - just in case you don't know.

I took a download of the CWWG casualty list for RFA some time ago when researching my grandfather. It's not perfect but it can give pointers. Looking through it I can only see one casualty recorded for 332 Brigade (but the recording is not always consistent so it can only be a guide) and that was B Battery. (K Mulvaney, Driver and he perished on 7th April 1917, buried at ETAPLES MILITARY CEMETERY). I understand your GGF was not a casualty as such, but these snippets of information can prove useful when trying to build a picture of where people were. Timing wise this might fit with your GGF's wounds and pathway to 5c.

In case nobody has mentioned, yes the regimental no. can change and it did for my GF in the RFA, but I think that was because he went in as a territorial and his whole Division changed status when it joined the BEF.

Good luck,

Chris.

Edited by Chris11

37 minutes ago, Chris11 said:

Hello Amanda,

As something of a novice here compared to others it is unusual for me to be able to help, but scanning through the comments here I don't think anybody has pointed out something which you may not be aware of (given your question about which brigade he was in). It seems to me that he was in 332 Brigade B Battery - just in case you don't know.

I took a download of the CWWG casualty list for RFA some time ago when researching my grandfather. It's not perfect but it can give pointers. Looking through it I can only see one casualty recorded for 332 Brigade (but the recording is not always consistent so it can only be a guide) and that was B Battery. (K Mulvaney, Driver and he perished on 7th April 1917, buried at ETAPLES MILITARY CEMETERY). I understand your GGF was not a casualty as such, but these snippets of information can prove useful when trying to build a picture of where people were. Timing wise this might fit with your GGF's wounds and pathway to 5c.

In case nobody has mentioned, yes the regimental no. can change and it did for my GF in the RFA, but I think that was because he went in as a territorial and his whole Division changed status when it joined the BEF.

Good luck,

Chris.

Very interesting!  I can definitely search the 332 Brigade, B Battery further and see if other facts line up.  If that Brigade entered the Theatre of War in France July 18, 1915 - that might be the piece that ties it all together. Thank you for this so much!  
I’m also in the process of seeing whether the Legion to see if there was anything they maintained insofar as past members.  His obituary stated that he “served with distinction in the Imperial Forces” which is maybe just another term for the British Expeditionary Forces?

Thanks again, and I’ll update more if I’m able to obtain any further information. 

• Admin

I'm not following this suggestion.

If this is referring to his MIC having the reference RFA/332 B (see post #9) then this has nothing whatsoever to do with his unit. It is simply the administrative reference to his VM/BWM medal roll (with page number 46633).

Regards

Russ

On 19/07/2020 at 22:37, RussT said:

I'm not following this suggestion.

If this is referring to his MIC having the reference RFA/332 B (see post #9) then this has nothing whatsoever to do with his unit. It is simply the administrative reference to his VM/BWM medal roll (with page number 46633).

Regards

Russ

Okay, my apologies Amanda for misleading on this. I defer to those who are far more experienced than me at this. Again apologies to you both.

On 19/07/2020 at 14:31, Chris11 said:

Hello Amanda,

Good luck,

Chris.

Very interesting!  I can definitely search the 332 Brigade, B Battery further and see if other facts line up.  If that Brigade entered the Theatre of War in France July 18, 1915 - that might be the piece that ties it all together. Thank you for this so much!  
I’m also in the process of seeing whether the Legion to see if there was anything they maintained insofar as past members.  His obituary stated that he “served with distinction in the Imperial Forces” which is maybe just another term for the British Expeditionary Forces?

Thanks again, and I’ll update more if I’m able to obtain any further information. 

No worries at all!  If it was a lead I was going to follow it.  I wish there were more on these papers.