Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WILLIAM BROADHURST -- 6TH BATTALION YORKS & LANCS

dxward

Hi out there, and thanks in advance for this excellent forum.

Im trying to trace details of my great uncle who i believe was killed in Gallipoli 10/12/1915.

I found his grave located at the following CWGC, at the following link:

https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/607019/broadhurst,-/

Just wondered if i could find any detail about his journey to Turkey and the battles he may have been involved in?

thanks again.

Damien

Welcome to the forum.

The war diary which includes 6 Y&L at Gallipoli appears only to be available on the subscription site Ancestry here:

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/60380/images/42871_625537_11835-00003?treeid=&personid=&hintid=&queryId=0d982f28268147c896be85066f9dce39&usePUB=true&_phsrc=vLI781&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true&pId=8459&backurl=https%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ancestry.co.uk%2Fcgi-bin%2Fsse.dll%3F_phsrc%3DvLI781%26_phstart%3DsuccessSource%26usePUBJs%3Dtrue%26indiv%3D1%26dbid%3D60380%26cp%3D0%26gskw%3D4299%26new%3D1%26rank%3D1%26uidh%3D6x5%26redir%3Dfalse%26msT%3D1%26gss%3Dangs-d%26pcat%3D39%26fh%3D28%26h%3D8459%26recoff%3D%26ml_rpos%3D29%26queryId%3D0d982f28268147c896be85066f9dce39

You will find it useful to read the Longlongtrail piece on the campaign here:

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/?s=gallipoli and the despatches listed to put it all in context.

There are some records on Findmypast which show he signed up on 4 September 1914.  His widow was awarded a pension of 15 shillings a week.

His medal record is here:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D1495974

Tragically it seems he was killed on the day the battalion received orders to evacuate the peninsular, beginning just a few days later.

Max

Edited by MaxD

Damien,

His Service Record is on Ancestry: click here, if you have it. It contains a number of personal details. He attested (signed up) on 04 Sep 14 and was initially posted to the 11th Battalion of the King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry, which was then in Harrogate, being transferred to the York and Lancaster Regiment on 10 Sep 15. He joined the 6th Battalion which was already in Gallipoli within the 32nd Brigade of the 11th (Northern) Division, presumably the battalion was in need of reinforcements due to casualties and sickness. You can read about the regiment on The Long, Long Trail website: click here, an invaluable resource for researching WW1.

From the War Diary, also on Ancestry as Max has indicated above, the 6th Battalion was at Sulva on 12 Dec engaged in 'ordinary trench routine'. It reports that three men were killed that day but does not say how. Perhaps this was from shelling or the activity of snipers. The battalion left Sulva by ship on 19 Dec.

Again on Ancestry is his entry on the Register of Soldier's Effects: click here.

His widow Harriet was awarded a 15s per week pension.

Acknown

Addition: On 28 Sep, the War Diary relates that the battalion received a draft of 10 officers and 451 Other Ranks (ORs) from England. I suspect that William was one of them.

Edited by Acknown
More information

Damien, this should be very interesting, from The Telegraph & Star, December 11th, 1916.

Courtesy of the British Newspaper Archive. 

Screenshot_20200703-155259.jpg

Feel for his father, he lost his wife in April and William just a few months before.

Screenshot_20200703-160819.jpg

William's widow married again on the 21st April, 1919 to Edwin Sanderson.

Edited by sadbrewer

Amazing guys, thank you so much. I your own opinions, what other sights besides ancestry are worth subscribing too??

Thanks again.

11 hours ago, dxward said:

Amazing guys, thank you so much. I your own opinions, what other sights besides ancestry are worth subscribing too??

Thanks again.

It depends whether you're referring to purely military records or genealogy in the wider sense.

Findmypast is a very good site for UK records, it often has records that Ancestry doesn't. I would recommend taking the subscription that includes access to The British Newspaper Archive...the snippets I put on above came from there. The beauty of the newspapers is that it often includes detail that you couldn't find in the usual birth,marriage and death records.

In my case, although it's difficult to quantify, I have massively increased my knowledge of my family history, it is pot luck to an extent though, if your ancestors were well behaved quiet working class people they may not get much of a mention when compared to the 'Great and Good...but you never know, if however they were scallywags ( as one strand of my Mother's family were) you can often find quite a lot about their criminal or antisocial lives.

Don't neglect Freebmd.org.uk,  a great free site for England and Wales Births deaths etc.

Wikitree is sometimes worth a look at too....and even Google sometimes comes up trumps.