Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

help deciphering record entries please

tamiwell

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could help me understand the last couple of entries on this page...my soldier was recovering from a serious illness at a convalescent hospital.  Then there are these two entries, one saying something about discharge and Weymouth (he was officially discharged as medically unfit after return to Australia) and 'Furlo'.  The next page has him embarking for home.

I'd like to know if that means that he went on leave before return to Australia?  I need to understand if possible, if he remained in hospital until embarking or had some 'time off'.

Thank you : )

John's record entries.png

16/7/17 Pte. Discharged to Weymouth (from Hitchen Infirmary)

22/7/17 Pte. MI (Marched In - or taken on Strength) from A HQrs (Headquarters) London (.... notice the MO is reporting to this Headquarters 4/10/16) ex (from) Furlo (Furlough or leave?)

Edited by TullochArd

11 hours ago, TullochArd said:

16/7/17 Pte. Discharged to Weymouth (from Hitchen Infirmary)

22/7/17 Pte. MI (Marched In - or taken on Strength) from A HQrs (Headquarters) London (.... notice the MO is reporting to this Headquarters 4/10/16) ex (from) Furlo (Furlough or leave?)

That’s how I read it too.  ‘Furlo’ was common at that time as a handwritten abbreviation for furlough, as in leave of absence.

A special (“Command”) depot was created in May 1915 at Monte Video Camp near Weymouth, Dorset, on the south coast of England. The depot's primary role was to receive and train men who would likely become fit for return to the front.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thank you, and thanks again Frogsmile you've been a big help to me with more than one question lately!  I have a few soldiers to write biographies for which is why I've been posting so much lately : )  I appreciate everyone's input so much

40 minutes ago, tamiwell said:

Thank you, and thanks again Frogsmile you've been a big help to me with more than one question lately!  I have a few soldiers to write biographies for which is why I've been posting so much lately : )  I appreciate everyone's input so much

Glad to assist Tami.

The annotation “A HQrs” refers to:  Administrative HQ in Horseferry Road in London, which was responsible for the administration of the AIF while overseas, including medical services and liaison with the British War Office.

”The Weymouth camp became the first of what would be four Command Depots whose main purpose would be to receive Australian soldiers that had been discharged from hospital and deemed fit to return to the front line within a period of about three months. Having already been part of a fighting unit they would have already experienced training, so the focus was very much on getting the men back to fitness, hardening them up for return to the front line.”  See: http://weymouthanzacs.moonfruit.com/photos/4575539387

Command Depot No.1 – established summer 1916 at Perham Down (close to Tidworth), and transferred to Sutton Veny in October 1917.

Command Depot No.2 – established as the first Australian Command Depot at Monte Video House in Weymouth in June 1915 for the Gallipoli wounded, then expanded to include Westham and Littlemoor camps.

Command Depot No.3 – temporarily established at Bovington, Dorset, to receive overflow from Perham Down following the Somme fighting, then established March 1917 at Hurdcott.

Command Depot No.4 – established Wareham, moved to Codford in June 1917, then to Hurdcott in November 1917.

“From mid-1917, those deemed fit enough to resume active service were then sent from the Command Depots to the Overseas Training Brigade to harden them up for life back in the trenches. The Overseas Training Brigade for the AIF was formed in Perham Down in June 1917 and then moved to the Sand Hill Camp, Longbridge Deverill, near Sutton Veny in October 1917. Those not expected to be fit within six months were sent to Weymouth, and in preparation for repatriation and Return to Australia.”

Edited by FROGSMILE