Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

For Sale - Aeroplanes, Tanks, Huts and Sausages

JohnC

Collectors might enjoy some entries from Issue No 2 of Surplus: The Official Organ Of The Surplus Government Property Disposal Board. If you fancy your very own Bristol Scout, sectional hut, fighting tank (with or without engine), 25,564 lbs of custard powder, 100 blue serge jumpers 'as worn by tunnelers', or General Melchet's easy chair and butler's tray then this is the thing for you. Unfortunately we are 101 years too late..... 

IMG_7693.JPG

IMG_7694.JPG

IMG_7695.JPG

IMG_7696.JPG

IMG_7697.JPG

IMG_7698.JPG

IMG_7699.JPG

IMG_7700.JPG

An amazing selection of aero engines for sale, some of which would find their way into

Brooklands racing cars.  It was the thing apparently to run the tang of a file into a

water jacket, point out the damage and get a reduced price.  This was an easy fix.

Mike.

I've read in The Motorcycle archives, articles and letters to the editor regarding surplus motorbikes. These start some months before the end of the war - when obviously the authors knew the war was going to end. They certainly thought there would be plenty of cheap used motorbikes to be had. This did not happen as I'm sure the motorcycle industry had a hand in protecting thier interests and they were not sold off but left to rust outside in the thousands following the end of hostilities. Photos of these and irate letters from many ex soldiers followed.

What a fascinating find. I would be interested in seeing further offers.

I note that mention is made of the Supply Reserve Depot in Deptford. I assume that this is the meaning of the SRD printed/embossed on rum jars that has been the subject of much discussion in the past.

Martin

The motorcycle industry's influence seems not to have extended to haulage. In 1919 you could choose from 1,500 unused 3 and 4 ton trucks.

SRD jars available by the thousand (page 93).

If in 1919 you had impulsively purchased a Curtiss H16 flying boat and a couple of spare Rolls Royce Eagle 4 engines to go with it, then in 1921 you could complete your project by adding a choice of two complete seaplane stations (Great Yarmouth or Killingholme). 

Incredible.

And it makes me wonder what proportion of today's survivors ever made military service beyond a storage depot.

IMG_7705.JPG

IMG_7706.JPG

IMG_7707.JPG

IMG_7708.JPG

Very impressive.  It gives a startling indication as to the degree of National Economic effort that was put into the Great War (and a further indication of why it was described in that way).  Thank you for posting such an interesting paper artefact.

Edited by FROGSMILE

The edition of 1st October 1921, advertising the seaplane stations etc, ran to 100 pages of lists and was catalogue number 57. As well as real-estate it offered locomotives, submarine engines, a lifting bridge and an explosives factory.

2 hours ago, tootrock said:

...I note that mention is made of the Supply Reserve Depot in Deptford. I assume that this is the meaning of the SRD printed/embossed on rum jars that has been the subject of much discussion in the past...

Yes:

SRD jar with original Supply Reserve Depot, Deptford sealed cork.jpg

Edited by Andrew Upton