Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

eligibility for widow pension in ww1

L m Sloan

My grandfather died in world war 1 and searches have yielded a couple of documents about a war pension .His widow was given an allowance for each of the 3 x children until they were 16 but not it seems  a pension for herself . Ive asked before ( not on this forum i hope ) and ive been told that judgements were made by the clerk himself and often based on moralistic judgements ...already got a boyfriend,? already working ..therefore able to support herself?  Im attaching the original pensions card  and asking if anyone can explain the phrase" P.W.E not substantiated" as this may help me 1506989245_AyreJoseph(5578)widowpension.jpg.105f0c65dcbae7585a5d0396b30a0061.jpg

I  read it as:   widow's pension is 26/8d and children's allowance 23/6d. No idea what P W E means.

Sue

Article 11 Pension award of 26/8 was available to Widow's over 40 years, or with Children eligible for Allowance. 

Weekly rates for each child under 16 years of age as follows -

First child 10s

Second child 7s 6d

Each child after the second 6s

Total pension for 3 children 23s 6d

It seems likely that Mrs Ayre may have made an application to show she was married to the soldier before the commencement of the war or before the date of his enlistment (whichever was the latter) and that her widow's pension (plus allowances for her children) was less than two-thirds of her husband's pre-war earnings.  In such cases, the widow would have to substantiate her claim and, if approved, was offered an Alternative Pension (Article 13) in lieu of her widows pension.  This would entitle her to claim up to two-thirds of pre-war earnings (up to a max of 66s 8d a week).

It appears her application for Alternative Pension may not have been successful -

Decision. -

Award of A.P. (Alternative Pension). |  Ineligible - "P.W.E. (Pre-war Earnings) not substantiated."

Rob

Edited by RFT
Additional information provided.

Thankyou so much ...this explains a lot .Very useful and completely answers my question .What a brilliant forum this is!!