Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte. F.W MOSELEY 27801 MM

Stevend

I am researching this soldier who won the MM  1918.

What I was wanting  to find out what  battalion  he would have been and where in France he served but any information is appreciated.

Regards 

Frederick William Moseley KOSB , Attd 15th Divl Signal Coy, RE https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D6199515

KOSB  27801 Pte.. F. W. Moseley (Upper Warlingham) https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31007/supplement/13397/data.pdf - try looking in papers in/around Upper Warlingham - he might have got a write-up

:-) M

Edited by Matlock1418

According to his Medal Roll entry (derived from National Archives resources held on Ancestry), he served with 2nd KOSB and 7/8th KOSB, which was formed in May 16 by an amalgamation of the 7th and 8th Battalions. 

Acknown

Edited by Acknown

Many thanks for the information 

I am aware he won the MM in late 1918 as its gazetted November   would this be for August or September  actions ?

The War Diary (WD) for 15 Div Sig Coy RE is available to on the National Archives website: click here. It is currently downloadable for free. I had a quick look through Sep - Dec 18 but saw no mention of Moseley. The WD for 7/8th KOSB from Jun 16 to Jun 19 is available as well: click here. It's also available on Ancestry: click here. A browse through these documents may unearth a mention.

Acknown

His Service Record is on Ancestry: click here. It records his award of the MM, in accordance with the London Gazette entry, and shows that he was wounded in action ‘9-14/4/17’ - GSW to arm. 

Interestingly, on attestation in Nov 15 at Flixton Park, Suffolk he was 'considered fit for the Territorial Force' and what I take to be the '2/1st' FFY (Fife and Forfar Yeomanry - and probably a miss-annotation for 1/2nd see LLT page) by the FFY Recruiting Officer (though he ended up in the KOSB in 1916, joining the 7/8th Battalion in Dec 16. It was normal for soldiers to be posted to battalions that came from nowhere near their home according to the needs of the Service, but the double Scottish mention indicates that some family research could be done to see if there was past Scottish ancestry!

His Casualty Form is extensive (two pages) as is his Conduct Sheet (minor offences and a five-day AWOL). The latter shows that in Jun 18, he was in H Company at a place called Nigg (I think?), which seems to be in Scotland. The top of the sheet is annotated 3rd KOSB which was in Edinburgh. It could be that he spent time there after he was wounded and before returning to the Front. Nevertheless, he returned to the UK on 18 Jan 19 and was demobilised on 15 Feb 19.

Sadly, there are no further details about his MM.

I've also had a relook at the 15 Sig Coy WD. As it was in the same division as the 7/8th KOSB, and mentions them from time to time, it seems logical that battalions may have been required to attach soldiers to the signallers as additional manpower. For example, there was a lot of line-laying and line-recovery.

Acknown

Sorry Stevend, I haven't answered your question. I'm afraid I don't know the likely month, but experts may comment further.

Edited by Acknown

Hi,

17 hours ago, Stevend said:

I am aware he won the MM in late 1918 as its gazetted November   would this be for August or September  actions ?

Possibly earlier. The images below are extracted from the A&Q diary 15 Division. The men shown appear in the London Gazette of 11.2.1919.

image.png.b0599bdc081bbe528878dd0603cfd6e5.png

image.png.482c2bb03e854f02e9168566e8ca8433.png

Images sourced from Ancestry

Regards

Chris