Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Signaller role Australian infantry and patches

tamiwell

Hello : )

I have a soldier to research who was a signaller in the 48th Battalion (AIF).  He was initially part of the 32nd but was transferred.  I'm wondering what the role of a signaller in the infantry was like...he was a private not a sapper.  Would he have had to have any particular skills in order to be chosen for the role?  

Thanks

Edited by tamiwell

The patches are the Battalion colours. If he was 32nd Bn then the photo is the right patch shape, rectangle up and down with the colours white to the front (Bn Colour) and yellow to the rear (Brigade Colour).

The 48th Bn is circular with colours white in the top half (BN Colour) and dark blue in bottom half (Brigade Colour).

Both Bn's started out as part from South Australia and part from Western Australia.

Thank you ForeignGong, those weren't the patches that showed up when I searched online so that's frustrating.  I searched again and located the correct patch colours thanks to your input, I really appreciate your help.  I've edited my post above without that question now : )

Signallers wore a crossed flags insignia on their lower sleeve. From memory AIF ones were brass, but cloth ones were also in use.

See here-

https://anzacportal.dva.gov.au/wars-and-missions/ww1/personnel/army-life/signallers

Mate,

As shown Sigs would have there unit color patches and there skill badges, as stated either in brass or cloth. But Bn sigs also had a arm band of Light Blue and White.

These Arm bands could be discarded when in action as they became targets.

Another skills also worn arm bands to show there jobs.

Units Sigs were at Bn level but could be allowcated to sub units (Companies) as needed. 

Bn sigs were part of the Bn and not part of the Bde Sig Company, but you can find these at Bn level if required for a task.

S.B

Edited by stevebecker