Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Signalling unit query

Chris Heaton

On a Roll of Honour I am transcribing I have a sapper whose unit is given as 'Signalling ci., HQ section'. Can anyone tell me what the abbreviation 'ci' means in this context. I have not been able to find it or work it out from any of the standard lists of abbreviations.

Are you sure it is ‘ci’?

'Clerk'?

'ci' could possibly be 'cl' and therefore clerk but before considering other possibilities I thought I had better rule out the possibility that 'signalling ci' was a known abbreviation which I had simply failed to find.

54 minutes ago, Chris Heaton said:

'ci' could possibly be 'cl' and therefore clerk but before considering other possibilities I thought I had better rule out the possibility that 'signalling ci' was a known abbreviation which I had simply failed to find.

I think that Steven is correct and it refers to Signals clerk, which was a common role responsible for maintaining signals logs and very important for the purpose of communications audit trails.

Edited by FROGSMILE

It is not at all uncommon to find non-standard abbreviations on local memorials and rolls of honour. I would suspend judgment for the time being, especially as "Signalling" is much less common than "Signals" in the names of such units.

Ron

16 minutes ago, Ron Clifton said:

It is not at all uncommon to find non-standard abbreviations on local memorials and rolls of honour. I would suspend judgment for the time being, especially as "Signalling" is much less common than "Signals" in the names of such units.

Ron

Yes I agree, although with the HQ Section connotation, I think that there's a good chance that Steven was correct given the RE association.  At least the OP now has something to consider.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thank you all for your comments - and for the reassurance that I had not simply missed a standard abbreviation.