Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

medals

daveh55

My grandfather John Cartwright number 222908 South Lancs apparently only received one medal 1914 to 1915 star. Can you tell me why he was only awarded 1 medal?

He should have received at least two others: the British War Medal and the Victory Medal, but it is not uncommon to see one medal index card showing only the star, and a separate card for the other two.

Ron

222908 is his Labour Corps number. His South Lancs Regt No is 1841. His medal index card is available on Ancestry and shows his entitlement to the 14/15 star, British War Medal (BWM) and Victory Medal. The BWM and Victory medal were issued from medal roll LC/101B84 8487

3 hours ago, butler said:

222908 is his Labour Corps number. His South Lancs Regt No is 1841. His medal index card is available on Ancestry and shows his entitlement to the 14/15 star, British War Medal (BWM) and Victory Medal. The BWM and Victory medal were issued from medal roll LC/101B84 8487

You just beat me to his MIC

Here is the link to the National Archives https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D1726778

[currently mistranscribed as 222900 - should change to 222908 as I have already requested]

He also has a Pension Ledger under 222908

[Incorrect image deleted - now more correctly posted in further post #10, below]

:-) M

Edited by Matlock1418
Deleted the PL image wrongly uploaded in error.

33 minutes ago, butler said:

Matlock, the Pension Ledger card shown is to a different man?

You were right - I missed my error in uploading

Apologies I picked the wrong image off my computer [will delete the above]

19 minutes ago, butler said:

Matlock,

The image of the Pension Ledger card on your post is to an Ernest John Jackson, KSLI Regt No 15920

Oh, B****r! - Sorry.

Thanks for letting me exactly know what my mistake was.

Here is the right one [as referred to in #5 and #7]

Image courtesy of the Western Front Association / Fold 3

343029275_CARTWRIGHTJohn222908-PensionLedger.png.f65136ca3f9e26940fd721ba528259ee.png

:-/ M

Edited by Matlock1418

2 hours ago, daveh55 said:

My grandfather John Cartwright number 222908 South Lancs apparently only received one medal 1914 to 1915 star.

Dave,

• Just wondering why you think he only got one medal???

Have you actually got a solo medal? - perhaps a photo(s) you might care to post??

Perhaps a medal group has got split up??? - Not that uncommon if a family wanted 'a bit of him' each and/or if they were subsequently sold piecemeal to get a some of cash in time(s) of hardship

One rather would expect:

Star with the first unit he served with in theatre [and that rank] - on the back

[Note: If we have found the right man that would appear to be SLR 1841]

And

BWM & VM for that which he ended up with there [and {potentially higher?} rank] - on the rims

[Note: If we have found the right man LC 222908 - Lance Corporals [L/C] were only appointed/an appointment so medals would be inscribed Private [Pte] - a note was actually sent out with medals to this effect - to stop the anticipated deluge of querying correspondence that might otherwise flow back from concerned L/Cpls or their families!]

Edited by Matlock1418

thank you all for your help was told he only had one medal by someone who searched his record ,no idea what happened to it or them no family left to ask.

You would never get the Star alone, it would always be with other medals.

According to his service records the 1914-15 star was granted but that box on the records is often not completed fully so the fact that it just shows the star does not mean he didn't get other medals.

He had the 1914-15 Star, BWM and VM.

image.png

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D1726778

N/Archives - can't as yet see the card on Ancestry.

Craig

49 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

can't as yet see the card on Ancestry.

'Tis there in glorious colour:

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/1262/images/30850_A000295-02326?ssrc=&backlabel=Return&pId=470351&backurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ancestry.co.uk%2F

460823657_CARTWRIGHTJohn222908MIC.png.6058a79a68df144ac1018c96cce91d59.png

Image courtesy of Ancestry

Certainly looks like LC 222908 - You can see TNA have (originally) mistranscribed [their poorer b/w image as 222900, not 222908]