Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Looking to return medal - Pte. Wilfred H. Gosling, DLI

Waggoner

A friend sent this request to me yesterday:

“While cleaning out Mom and Dad’s sideboard which was in the dining room. I came across a WW1 medal which belonged to a Wilfred H. Gosling, Service No. 92923. He was a private in the Durham Light Infantry in England. I would like to send it to his relatives but I don’t have an address and I don’t know anything about him really and I don’t know the story behind how my father ended up with it. Can you give me some advice on how to return it to Pte. Gosling’s relatives wherever they may be.” 

His MIC confirms he received the BWM and VM (don’t know which one was found). A friend searched Ancestry but could not find any service or pension records. Any suggestions on how to track down his family? Or, is this a dead end?

All the best,

Gary

Thanks...I had noted that. Apparently the Garrison Battalion. Just learned on the BMF that he had been wounded and his NaoK were in Hull.

All the best,

Gary

Wilfred Henry Gosling. B.1/9/1899 Hull, Yorkshire, looks to be your man. Family tree on Ancestry. 

52nd Graduated Batt. D.L.I. 

Edited by GWF1967

Excellent...thank you very much!

All the best,

Gary

Looking at the tree GWF1967 mentioned, Wilfred left the UK for Providence, Rhode Island in 1924. ...having said that I'm not totally convinced it is correct, the shipping form asks for full name but only gives Wilfred ( not too unusual though) and his mothers address is given as Manchester, which doesn't get corroboration elsewhere in the tree.

It does claim he died in Beverley near Hull in 1981.

• 3 months later...

My thanks to everyone who replied to this request...either on open forum or by message. His granddaughter has been contacted by a great niece who lives close by in Hull. Apparently there is another granddaughter in the area as well. So the second cousins have been reunited! I believe that a family reunion is in the offing! They are presently deciding who in the family should receive the medal.

All the best,

Gary

Hello there Gary, that is great news and well done.