Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Battle of the Somme, 1 July 1916

ejwalshe

The Battle of the Somme. A total failure? Or was it the ultimate sacrifice which saved the French at Verdun?

Many thanks for posting.

thanks a great watch,

tony

Good Afternoon, hope you are all well

Could I ask a question, In the film it shows some German prisoners in a compound,Is the location over the road from White City, because the sand bagged dugouts opposite look extremely like White City.If it is then the prisoners were kept where the modern day house is that used to belong to Avril Williams sister used to live. If im right of course.

I look forward to your replies.

Andy  

@andrew pugh I believe B.E.F. will not reach the area of White City until Battle of Flers-Courcelette.

Q25 and Q26. I do not think this is White City, the area from which 1st Lancashire Fusiliers made their attack. It is much too close to the front line. Is there another 'White City' near Flers and Courcelette ? I have not checked.

I have had another look at these two photos, it is not the White City at Beaumont Hamel. Lots of trees to the left, telegraph poles and a road with an ambulance on it. I am thinking it could be Crucifix Corner to the East of Aveluy, view NNE. However I am ready for the dollup of egg on my face....

20 hours ago, andrew pugh said:

Good Afternoon, hope you are all well

Could I ask a question, In the film it shows some German prisoners in a compound,Is the location over the road from White City, because the sand bagged dugouts opposite look extremely like White City.If it is then the prisoners were kept where the modern day house is that used to belong to Avril Williams sister used to live. If im right of course.

I look forward to your replies.

Andy  

The Old Beaumont Road (where the house you mention is) was under direct observation, and even rifle fire, on 1st July and onwards until November when Beaumont Hamel was taken, so I doubt there would have been any kind of compound there prior to that.

In fact, about 24 minutes in, image Q745 is of that exact location (men crawling in No Man's Land). The house is now just off to the right of the photo which was taken from the embankment from where Malins filmed the Hawthorn Mine going off. It looks like he turned his camera about 90 degrees right to capture that image.

And, would there have been any Germans captured in that area on 1st July? As we didn't get any troops into the German trenches I doubt it.

Edited by Ken Lees

Hi Ken

Could the picture have been taken at a much later date than mentioned.Check a site called echoesofwar.blogspot.com Look at the list for Beaumont Hamel. scroll down and check out the moving picture of White City.Let me know what you think.

Kind Regards

Andy

I have had a look at 'echoesofwar' site and I am of the opinion that the location is not White City.

@andrew pugh  What?  An error in an IWM annotation?  How can this be?

Pardon my facetiousness, the annotations in IWM and MIKAN (Canada collection) are often a mixture of errors and omissions.