Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

KINGS ROYAL RIFLE CORPS

Maureen Hurst

The photographs below are from a batch of photographs given to our Local History Society some time ago. I am trying to identify as many of them as possible .The group has a postmark on the back Oct 1914 Winchester and part of the message says"you will know one or two faces on this photo" it is signed by Jack who is possibly the other photo John Edward H mC lACHLAN R/4743 . I have his service record, medal card and pension card.He died Feb 2nd 1919 He had lost part of his arm.

The last photograph is a young man who also seems to be in the KRRC and whose fiance is called Clara. I know nothing else except that the it was taken by a Nottingham photographer.

Note the address on the previous card , that is the back of the group picture. and East Leake is in Nottinghamshire

Any thoughts on these pictures will be gratefully received ,

scan0018.jpg

scan0016.jpg

scan0019.jpg

scan0073.jpg

Photo 1 has a wizened Corporal of the KRRC in the centre, with cap badge, black buttons and a pocket watch fob in his top pocket all clear to see.  The men with him are almost certainly Kitchener recruits with their trademark - isn’t it all a lark - smiles of innocence, little knowing what they were to face. The billets behind them have been typically marked up in chalk to show they are for Number 1 Company of their particular battalion.  However, underneath the photo seems to show them as Number 1 Squad, of 8(?) Company, 4(?) KRRC, and I cannot make out the words after.  Presumably the location?  I wonder if McClachlan died of septicaemia, or Spanish Influenza, there was a second wave in early 1919.

Photo 2 shows a KRRC private (known as ‘Rifleman’ within the regiment), but he has not been issued with black buttons and so is probably from a war-raised Service Battalion, as they found it more difficult to get uniform items.

Photo 3 shows a Gunner of the Royal Field Artillery, whose RFA shoulder titles and leather bandolier for mounted duty are also clear to see.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Is the little white line on fis pocket the fob watch? your eye site is certainly better than mine. There is writing on the bottom of the group photo that says in white No.1 Squad , 5 Company KRRC Corp: Smith.

I thought the last photo said  KRRC on his shoulder. If it is another regiment should I remove him from the page?

47 minutes ago, Maureen Hurst said:

Is the little white line on fis pocket the fob watch? your eye site is certainly better than mine. There is writing on the bottom of the group photo that says in white No.1 Squad , 5 Company KRRC Corp: Smith.

I thought the last photo said  KRRC on his shoulder. If it is another regiment should I remove him from the page?

Yes, the little line is a ‘T-Bar’ fob for a pocket watch.

The inscription refers to Cpl Smith, who can only be the man in the photo, i.e. it’s his training squad.

The third man sat adjacent to the lady is definitely RFA, but there’s no reason to remove the photo.

B1AF2201-2784-4FE9-838F-2919FC4187C1.jpeg

15AA514E-AC95-4299-9A42-36D50B5D636B.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

2 minutes ago, Maureen Hurst said:

might it mean

Corporal Smith

Yes, I’ve just edited my response once I realised what the wording referred to.