Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Comrades Of The Great War Enamel Lapel Badge

paulp4180

Apologies if this is in the incorrect fora. I wasn't sure where this actually fits.

My question is - is there anyway in finding who owned this badge, especially as it has a number (364395) on the back. Is there a list like there is for the SWB?

Hoping someone may be able to assist ... Thanks in advance!!

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

My avatar is the Irish version of this badge. It too is numbered, but unfortunately the number refers to a roll that doesn't  survive. It isn't an army number. 

Dave

13 minutes ago, depaor01 said:

My avatar is the Irish version of this badge.

Dave

Thanks Dave,

I've learnt my something new for today!

56 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

Thanks Dave,

I've learnt my something new for today!

:thumbsup:

Every day's a school day round here!

19 hours ago, depaor01 said:

My avatar is the Irish version of this badge. It too is numbered, but unfortunately the number refers to a roll that doesn't  survive. It isn't an army number. 

Dave

Thanks Dave, appreciate it. The Irish list and the UK list was it one and the same? 

1 hour ago, paulp4180 said:

Thanks Dave, appreciate it. The Irish list and the UK list was it one and the same? 

Probably there was one roll like the SWB. I sometimes wonder if there's a yellowing stack of paper somewhere in the British Legion with CotGW names and numbers!

I recall reading (I think on the forum here) that there are several surviving rolls for the Comrades of the BEF, which apparently stopped and then restarted at least twice. Presumably that’s different to this badge roll though.

Edited by FROGSMILE

3 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

I recall reading (I think on the forum here) that there are several surviving rolls for the Comrades of the BEF, which apparently stopped and then restarted at least twice. Presumably that’s different to this badge roll though.

Thanks for the reply - I did a search on the forum, but couldn't find a great deal.

19 minutes ago, paulp4180 said:

Thanks for the reply - I did a search on the forum, but couldn't find a great deal.

The trouble is that the forum has been going for so many years now that it can be really hard to track things down.  I find it much more difficult than before because of the sheer mass and perhaps that the website has necessarily had to be regularly upgraded.  Inevitable I think.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Prompted by this thread I looked mine out and made a discovery.... it appears there were two sizes!  I was not aware of this until I looked just moments ago

Does this have any significance?

Both are made by JR Gaunt and both numbered as per the original image in this thread.

COGW.jpg.4254e6a99e8ca5351aab2f7b0983b85b.jpg

Chris

1 hour ago, paulp4180 said:

Can we see the back of both as well please?

Certainly, but as I noted "Both are made by JR Gaunt and both numbered as per the original image in this thread. " I am intrigued to know what this might add

DSC_1911.jpg.b8b562ca0a914e133339394f029f0bcb.jpg

Chris

2 hours ago, paulp4180 said:

Thank you, that's interesting ... my guess would be male and female recipients?

Hmmm I didn't think of that - given the time period I would expect there were very few women members.

I wondered if it was just earlier (perhaps the first 100K) and later members (given the numbers on mine - although yours is higher but also smaller), or badge issue.

My wife suggested there may have been categories of membership or the choice of "basic" and "deluxe" badges with an additional fee.

Chris

26 minutes ago, 4thGordons said:

Hmmm I didn't think of that - given the time period I would expect there were very few women members.

Chris

The Old Contemptibles had a badge and social club for wife’s of Chums. image.jpeg.7955cb66ab3c1545a34b687106ffed00.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...