Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Luambala, Mozambique

A man (Scottish sergeant serving with 2/1 King's African Rifles) I am researching died of dysentery at Luambala (Mazmbique) at the end of March 1918 and was buried in the cemetery there. The cemetery was closed in 1920 and all the men were reinterred in Mangochi Town Cemetery (Malawi).

I wonder why the Luambala Cemetery was closed.

Was it too remote for the IWGC to maintain; or perhaps it was felt to be easier to maintain the graves if they were in what was then British territory?

How much was there  at Luambala in 1918? (Indeed how much is there now?)

(According to Moyse Bartlett British Forces captured Luambala on 15 January 1918 "after slight opposition" but found there was less to the post than they had expected: "a few huts walled and floored with brick and surrounded by a mound of turf and a ditch".)

RM

The London Gazette has 2 pages of a report from C&C  East Africa covering the events

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31069/supplement/14794 and next page

There are a number of newspaper reports, but they appear just to be edited versions of this

1 hour ago, corisande said:

The London Gazette has 2 pages of a report from C&C  East Africa covering the events

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31069/supplement/14794 and next page

There are a number of newspaper reports, but they appear just to be edited versions of this

Thank you.

That is very useful. I suspect that it was one of Moyse-Bartlett's sources.

It may also answer my question about the closure of Luambala Cemetery. On the previous page it says:

"The portion of Portuguese East Africa bounded by the Rovuma and Zambesi Rivers, - Lake Nyasa and the sea, is but little smaller than France. Much of this vast area was a  terra incognita to Europeans, and no accurate maps were available. In some parts, the natives were as yet unsubdued, while in others they were in more or less open rebellion."

RM