Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Das Elephant

nils d

This might well be in the wrong section but where exactly  do you  put  an enquiry  about  a WW1 Elephant  in the German  navy?                    

While watching episode 10 of the BBC Great War series l noticed a shot of an elephant pushing a railway  wagon  loaded  with timber in a siding.The handler ,if l can call him that, was wearing German  naval uniform. 

Now  l don't  suppose  the Kriegsmarine had an Elephant  Corps so  what's  the story  here? A German  sailor  with an Elephant?

I've  heard  of a ship's cat before but...........

Sorry, can't help. I missed that episode

Edited by johnboy

Hello,

That was probably "feldgraue Jenny", the elephant from Hagenbeck Zoo in Hamburg, which served in the army? The animal served in Northern France, helping in forestry (dragging trees etc.).

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/712976184731108617/

And also

Jan

There were two elephants in particular: Jenny and Nelly, both from Hamburg. Jenny was from Hamburg Zoo and Nelly was from a circus. Both were used in Etappe no.2 to support the German 2nd Army in the forests around Avesnes-sur-Helpe. They were used as plough horses in agriculture, too.

On 01/07/2020 at 11:05, Hedley Malloch said:

There were two elephants in particular: Jenny and Nelly, both from Hamburg. Jenny was from Hamburg Zoo and Nelly was from a circus. Both were used in Etappe no.2 to support the German 2nd Army in the forests around Avesnes-sur-Helpe. They were used as plough horses in agriculture, too.

Thank you to all that responded.

I followed the links and can confirm that the elephant in the clip was Fledgrau Jenny complete with her mahout,wearing naval uniform .That's still a puzzle  to me.

The other elephant was called  Nelly but when l tried looking her up l just got a lot of references  to the Toy Dolls !

No, she was an elephant who packed her trunks and said goodbye to the circus. Here she is at work in the forests.

Jenny in the Bois de Felleries 8.jpg

This picture of Jenny has a caption which suggests that she was the one from the circus;

from Ruhmestage Der Deutchen Marine von Norbert V. Baumbach (1933)

[ignore the top right-hand corner]

Scan2020-07-02_184908.jpg.303fb59a1fe19685748ef8506d4a3cab.jpg

The photo in #7 was publisherd in the German journal "Die Woche" and Tthe caption of it tells you where the photo was taken and that the animal came from Hagenbeck.

GreyC

467838970_ElefantKopie.jpg.4d721b7a5b4c47c6e69326a5badc9ecf.jpg

Mate,

I place somewhere on this site the story of the U Boat and the Camel.

During the war a number of camels were brought from Africa to Germany by U boat.

Read the story

Cheers

S.B

bit off post but

near where I live there is an old Forrest,in theres  a big  pool of water,and the area called the elephant walk,apparently in ww2 diesel unavailable,so the foresters asked Whipsinade zoo if they could use some of their elephants to pull logs,,with food being scarce I should think the zoo jumped at the chance,the big pool is where they used to bathe the elephants after a hard days work

:poppy:

Maureene,

Yes thats my story, given by Bushfighter.

"Has any heard of the story of the underwater Camel?"
"This story is true and the names have not been changed."

Cheers

S.B

Sanger’s Circus winter quarters were in Horley, Surrey. There’s a picture somewhere of their elephants being used to plough during WW1. 

Sangers Drive, Horley is named after the circus.

58 DM.

I lived in Horley for many years - about a mile from Sangers Drive - and was told about the elephants when at school in the 60s :) nice to be reminded.