Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Company assignments

BDuprest

I have my great-grandfathers personnel file from WWI. He served in the 54th Battalion, but I do not see anywhere his company is notated. Is there any way to find out that anyone is aware of? 

Edited by BDuprest

Hello BDuprest, and welcome to the Forum!

As regards infantry, War Diaries and other documents rarely go below battalion level. Men might be moved between companies for a number of reasons, on the orders of their commanding officer.

The nearest you can probably get is if you have his letters home, perhaps with reference to locations or the officers under whom he served, and then cross-check these details against the battalion war diary, which you should be able to unload from the website www.nationalarchives.gov.uk - downloads are currently free.

Ron

Dont know if I should start a differnt post for this but just curious as to understand something else in the personnel file. My G-Grandfather enlisted in August 1917 in Toronto and  then embarked for England in November of 1917. I wonder what he did between those times. Did soldiers immediately go into training in Canada, or would it all have happened in England when he arrived?

It was not unusual for Canadian soldiers to receive some basic training in Canada before being sent across the Atlantic. Have a look at this website:

https://www.warmuseum.ca/firstworldwar/history/going-to-war/canada-enters-the-war/training-at-valcartier/

Ron